Baton Rouge, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-15
I ran out of the calcium buffer that comes with the Taylor K-2006 kit and bought a larger bottle, trying to save a few pennies, but didn't realize it was a different number on the bottle. R-0010 comes with the kit, but I got R-0653-2. Can this be used with the R-011L and R-0012 reagents?

The SDS shows a much higher sodium hydroxide concentration of 10-30% for R06532 vs. 1-5% for R0010. Don't use it for your CH test, it seems to be designed for something else.

EDIT: It might be possible that one drop of R06532 is equivalent to 10 drops of R0010. Hard to tell without the exact concentration, SDSs only have to indicate concentrations from a safety point of view. And you needed to be extra careful to not get anything into your eyes. Maybe let's wait for someone like @JoyfulNoise to chime in.

Last edited:
I suggest calling Taylor’s tech support line. That particular reagent is listed under their Industrial Testing sector and it’s used for hardness determination as a calcium buffer. Their Tech support/Customer Service is very good and Wayne Ivusich is their head technical expert dude. He can tell you if It’s a direct replacement or not.

Reactions: mgtfp
The SDS shows a much higher sodium hydroxide concentration of 10-30% for R06532 vs. 1-5% for R0010. Don't use it for your CH test, it seems to be designed for something else.

EDIT: It might be possible that one drop of R06532 is equivalent to 10 drops of R0010. Hard to tell without the exact concentration, SDSs only have to indicate concentrations from a safety point of view. And you needed to be extra careful to not get anything into your eyes. Maybe let's wait for someone like @JoyfulNoise to chime in.
I was hoping that something like one drop equals 10 might be the case, but wasn’t sure.

I suggest calling Taylor’s tech support line. That particular reagent is listed under their Industrial Testing sector and it’s used for hardness determination as a calcium buffer. Their Tech support/Customer Service is very good and Wayne Ivusich is their head technical expert dude. He can tell you if It’s a direct replacement or not.
Thank you. I will do this and let you know. I wish they would put this info on their website, the pool stores don’t have a clue and they’re selling it as the same thing.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thank you very much for your advice. I just spoke to Wayne at Taylor and he said the R-0653-2 is totally different than the R-0010. The 0653 is what they use in the large glass bottles, jars, whatever, at the store to test your water. I said, "so I need to get the 0010 and the guys at the pool store need to be educated?" He laughed and said yes!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.