Difference between whisperflo vs intelliflo, intelliflo vs other intellflos...

Jul 12, 2018
Marlboro, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,

I've seen this question asked several times here on TFP but was looking for more specific info. TFP suggested creating a new thread, so apologies in advance for asking a similar pool pump comparison question.

I have a 2014 Pentair Whisperflo 2HP pump that works well in my 19K inground gunite pool with a vent waterfall, but it is loud. I want a quieter pump that has the same performance (i.e. moves the water in my pool efficiently). Would also like to save $ in my electrical bill. Having wireless access is a nice feature but I don't think its essential (not really sure what I'm missing since I don't have it right now).

Both the Whisperflo and Intelliflo are variable speeds, and seem to basically work the same (according to previous TFP posts). So why exactly do TFP members say they prefer the Intelliflo over the Whisperflo, especially since the Whisperflo is cheaper and appears to be more efficient (WEF is higher)?

And what exactly are the differences between the Intelliflo vs Intelliflo3?

What do I focus on when trying to identify a similar pool pump, the THP or HHP?

I should also mention that I have an old mechanical dial timer setup for my pool that I set to turn on/off my pool pump. I also have a pentair booster pump that I am retiring. I plan to re-pipe things so that I get a "third" pool jet in my pool. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I've seen this question asked several times here on TFP but was looking for more specific info. TFP suggested creating a new thread, so apologies in advance for asking a similar pool pump comparison question.

I have a 2014 Pentair Whisperflo 2HP pump that works well in my 19K inground gunite pool with a vent waterfall, but it is loud. I want a quieter pump that has the same performance (i.e. moves the water in my pool efficiently). Would also like to save $ in my electrical bill. Having wireless access is a nice feature but I don't think its essential (not really sure what I'm missing since I don't have it right now).
To save energy and reduce noise, running on lower speeds (RPM) is the solution and pretty any VS pump will do that.

Both the Whisperflo and Intelliflo are variable speeds, and seem to basically work the same (according to previous TFP posts). So why exactly do TFP members say they prefer the Intelliflo over the Whisperflo, especially since the Whisperflo is cheaper and appears to be more efficient (WEF is higher)?
Ignore WEF. It is pretty much useless. The way they calculate it makes very little sense.

Which WhisperFlo were you looking at? Certain versions are designed specifically for water features and actually have lower efficiency on circulation pool plumbing.

The Intelliflo3 has a redesigned wet end that supposedly improves efficiency but I have found that it isn't all that much different than older Intelliflos. The energy use is about the same based upon actual measurement data.

You will do fine replacing the WhisperFlo with a 3HP Intelliflo. Ignore everything else. It really doesn't matter.

Just a side note. There are some advantages going with a larger THP VS pump. The required RPM to get to a specific GPM will be lower than a lower THP VS pump. This means lower noise. Also, the larger THP VS pumps will have larger impellers which means they are less likely to develop clogs. This also means they are slightly more efficient at a given flow rate than are lower THP VS pumps.

So in general, anything in the Intelliflo line up is sufficient except for the i1 & i2 as they are lower THP VS pumps.

I should also mention that I have an old mechanical dial timer setup for my pool that I set to turn on/off my pool pump. I also have a pentair booster pump that I am retiring. I plan to re-pipe things so that I get a "third" pool jet in my pool. Thanks in advance.
Pretty much all VS pumps have built timers so you can bypass the mechanical timer and directly wire the pump to a breaker.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

The Intelliflo3 also has 2 connection points for other devices that require the pump to be on - such as a booster pump or a SWCG. This helps owners such as yourself that do not have automation but a time clock. So there is no need to sync your time clock to the pump time to have a device turn on only when the pump is on.

It is normally best to purchase a higher HP pump i.e. 3 HP vs 1.5 HP. As a general concept, for a given RPM the lower HP pump will consume more energy. Also the slower a pump runs the quieter it is.

As a general concept, for a given RPM the lower HP pump will consume more energy. Also the slower a pump runs the quieter it is.
I think you meant GPM, not RPM.

At the same GPM, a lower THP pump will use more energy. However, at the same RPM, the lower THP pump will use less energy but also produce lower flow rates.

Reactions: HermanTX