Did I do a no-no? Plumbing

rose62

Apr 20, 2016
Temple, Ga.
This spring my skimmer clogged. In an effort to clear it I cut the plumbing before the basket, both from the drain and the skimmer. I bought one of those bladder attachments and cleared the clog and installed 1.5" unions on the two return lines. Now, the pump won't prime. Are the unions allowing a vacuum leak preventing the pump from priming? It seems as though the union would have been installed initially but now I'm thinking that I will have to cut them out and install couplings.

Are the new unions made for pool pumps, heat rated and have o-rings? If so did you use proper grease for them to seal? All the o-rings on the pump lid and drain plugs installed and lubed?
Are you filling the basket prior to sealing the pump lid and starting the prime?

The pvc on the right is the skimmer and on the left is the drain. I'm almost certain that it's sucking air. But the threaded connection before the basket, after the check valve is not as tight as I'd like, either.
IMG_20220508_180914817_HDR.jpg

Unless it's just the image, the skimmer pipe almost appears to be slightly canted (crooked) coming up from the ground. I wonder if that's placing some undue tension on the union O-ring allows a hint of air in there? Have you tried running some water over that area while the pump is on to see if there's a difference? You could do the same for the other connections as well. Sometimes I try saran wrap to try a seal a suspected leak as a test, but it could be difficult trying to wrap a union connection.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If you can make the inlet plumbing wiggle, even a little, in the pump it will leak air. Since you have unions before and after the pump, remove it all, unthread the assembly in the inlet, seal with about 6 tight wraps of Teflon tape and reinstall. A thin film of silicone on the tape will help as well. A quick fix is a thin bead of silicone sealant right at the joint of the pipe adapter and pump.

"If you can make the inlet plumbing wiggle, even a little, in the pump it will leak air."

Almost certainly, this is the case. I'll seal it today and see if that helps. I wrapped the nipple with ten layers of teflon but it still doesn't seem snug enough.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Update: Just sealed the basket inlet with permatex. No change. It's not even trying to prime. I can run a water supply into the basked and it will constantly pump that water out but won't make an effort to pull water from the pool. It's warming up and if I don't get something going soon, gonna have to call a pro.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can try pumping air through the lines to see if they are clear. Also might try Vaseline in any joints you suspect are leaking. It’s easier to clean off later than permatex.

"If you can make the inlet plumbing wiggle, even a little, in the pump it will leak air."

Almost certainly, this is the case. I'll seal it today and see if that helps. I wrapped the nipple with ten layers of teflon but it still doesn't seem snug enough.
If you wrapped 10 layers and the fitting still won't tighten (best guess) you have either a.)had the pump run "dry" long enough to overheat and shrink the threaded portion and it needs to be replaced, preferably with a hi-temp union or at least a CPVC nipple and union. b.) cracked the inlet to the SuperPump (seen it more than once). Is the basket warped? Good indication of heat damage.

Have you made sure that diverter valve is completely sealed? Lid and stem O rings/gasket? I don't recognize the brand, but it appears the lid unthreads from the body.

As another point that you don't want to hear, it looks as if your booster pump has had a seal leak for some time. Given the symptoms you are seeing, I'm guessing the pump has run dry and damaged the plumbing, possibly the pump itself, at least the seal in the booster, and possibly the booster impeller itself.

Not to state the obvious, but having made this mistake before (and finding one fallen on the ground) — have you made sure that the o-ring is installed in each of the unions?

Reactions: Bperry
"As another point that you don't want to hear, it looks as if your booster pump has had a seal leak for some time. Given the symptoms you are seeing, I'm guessing the pump has run dry and damaged the plumbing, possibly the pump itself, at least the seal in the booster, and possibly the booster impeller itself."

Yeah, the aux motor is locked up (again) and the impeller is fried (again) so that's why I've been vacuuming rather than using my Polaris and thus, clogging my skimmer. Too often, I've let the aux stay on between main pump cycles so that it's started dry.

Disassembled the pump and all looks normal. Made certain that the o-rings were in place in all of the unions. Tried again, using the bladder inserted into the skimmer port at the pool to run water to the pump. It tried briefly to prime only to fail to do so as the basket was nearly full. Tried turning of the skimmer valve and starting with only the drain. Nope. Never had this much trouble starting the pool in the spring.

Something I didn't notice before, but there doesn't look to be PVC glue, but only primer, on the fittings with maybe a little red Permatex on the left union. Properly glued fittings will have a small bead of glue at the outer edge of the fitting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.