Did I add to much stabilizer to my pool ?!?

I hope with the summer evaporation I can lower the CH over time with out another drain next year.
Evaporation does not remove any (non-volatile) chemicals in the pool. The only way to reduce CH, CYA, etc. is by water replacement. In fact, evaporation and refill with tap water adds to the pool whatever is in tap water so the CH will usually rise with evaporation and refill.

Man I love the Sub and TY for the pic....dumb question but is it yours? Major congrats if so. Wow!

Now, I am stumped on the CYA. It just doesn't add up at all. Based on your numbers there is no way it should be that high. What are the pool dimensions...? just to double check. Something is off somewhere and I want to help figure it out. It will bug me till we do.

Evaporation does not remove any (non-volatile) chemicals in the pool. The only way to reduce CH, CYA, etc. is by water replacement. In fact, evaporation and refill with tap water adds to the pool whatever is in tap water so the CH will usually rise with evaporation and refill.

I think I'll run a water line from my water softener. The CH test is another test that seems I need to read more on. It turns purple then blue, I'll double check that too. I know for a fact that I could've mess that one up, it turned purple by the 20th drop.

Man I love the Sub and TY for the pic....dumb question but is it yours? Major congrats if so. Wow!

Now, I am stumped on the CYA. It just doesn't add up at all. Based on your numbers there is no way it should be that high. What are the pool dimensions...? just to double check. Something is off somewhere and I want to help figure it out. It will bug me till we do.

Yes, thanks, just got the watch about 3 weeks ago. I'll have to figure out the size if the pool. I'm pretty sure it's 10-12k gallons. I'll measure and call the pool builder. I'll do the CYA test again, it's starting to bug me too.

I went back and looked at some of your posts, and looked at both the CYA and the CH results.

1. 12-12-2013
    CYA 150
    CH 800-900
  2. 12-25-2013
    CYA 100
    CH 500
  3. 1-10-2014
    CYA 130
    CH 950
  4. 1-13-2014
    CYA 45
    CH None listed
  5. 1-15-2014
    CYA 50
    CH 375
  6. 3-3-2014
    CYA 70
    CH 350

I'm looking at these test results from older posts/threads. On 1-13 you had a CYA level listed of 45ish.....did you add the CYA after that date or before?? Have you added any more CYA to the water besides the 3-4lbs you mentioned in this post after you have drained 90% of the water on 1-13??

I went back and looked at some of your posts, and looked at both the CYA and the CH results.

1. 12-12-2013
    CYA 150
    CH 800-900
  2. 12-25-2013
    CYA 100
    CH 500
  3. 1-10-2014
    CYA 130
    CH 950
  4. 1-13-2014
    CYA 45
    CH None listed
  5. 1-15-2014
    CYA 50
    CH 375
  6. 3-3-2014
    CYA 70
    CH 350

I'm looking at these test results from older posts/threads. On 1-13 you had a CYA level listed of 45ish.....did you add the CYA after that date or before?? Have you added any more CYA to the water besides the 3-4lbs you mentioned in this post after you have drained 90% of the water on 1-13??

I haven't added any CYA other then the 3-4 lbs. I did a partial drain(50%) at the beginning of the year. Refill and tested everything and the CH and CYA was still high.

I then did an almost total drain of about 90%, retested everything, got the FC and PH in a good range then added the CYA. That's the only time I added CYA.

I'll retest both again.. The CYA test needs to be done outside with your back against the sun, right ? It should be sunny outside, no clouds blocking the sun ?

CH test turns purple then blue, this is normal ? I use a speed stir for my test. And I'll do them at room temp again.
Thanks

Yes, that is very normal for the CH test. I can only guess that the extra pound got you to 95 from 70. I'll admit I'm confused, but if the pool volume is close and you are seeing the test read correctly I can't think of anything else. If I read correctly, you got 70 and thought it might actually be lower and put in one more pound, right? That's the way I read it, but please correct me If I am wrong.

I know it's not the calculator as I've used it many times for many additions and it's never failed me. Quite the opposite actually, I am always amazed how close I get with what it tells me. I really want to help you figure this out, but that is the best I can surmise at the moment. If you can give us dimensions and depth of the pool, we can get a volume quite easily, and you won't have to call the builder. I'm not saying it's that far off, I just want to eliminate the possibility.

Leebo, thank you for the help backtracking on the readings. Much appreciated. :goodjob:

Water temp 80 degree
FC 8.5
CC. 0
TA 90
CH 450
PH 7.5

I'll assume that CYA is 90-100, although I'm still having a problem with the test.
Thanks for you input and patience.
Mark

I'll redo the CYA tomorrow afternoon

Water is very clear, crystal clear

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mark,

I think you might be closer to excellent water balance than you believe. You sound a bit discouraged but maybe you should be encouraged.

1. Water is Crystal Clear

2. CYA is currently a bit high but you will drain and replace getting it down to ideal range of around 40 - 60 ppm (don't worry if this is not exact.

3. Now, looking at the FC/CYA chart, we find your FC to be a little high but it will come down on it's own. Your job is to constantly replenish it so FC stays around 4-6 ppm

4. Once you get those parameters stabilized, tweak the pH, TA, and CH to get within the suggested levels but don't be in a rush to adjust those......you can go many, many days as they are.

5. Reread the "ABC's...." article in Pool School once more. You are gaining a good understanding but maybe need some more familiarization to get it locked in. :goodjob:

Mark I agree with Dave. You are doing better than you think, and it really sounds like you are getting the hang of the Cya test. Don't be discouraged and keep reading and asking questions if you need too.

Thank you

I did the CYA test today, twice. It was very sunny, my back to the sun and it came to 65 each time. I'm not going to sweat this number.

The CH is what it is, until I run a line from my soft water conditioner it should be fine. At least it's not 800-900 anymore.

I read this forum on regular basis, so I'm learning as much as I can.

4-6 on FC is good for me, it will sometimes be just a bit higher cause of the massive sun I get and the solar being turned on. I can only check it 3 times a week due to my work schedule and I thought I should be a little high then low.

Yes and that CH is manageable.

With your schedule, just get a feel for how much Bleach you need to add until the next time you can test/dose. You'll be able to often nail it most of the time with some experience and it is much better to err on the side of a little high FC than not. Good job on that.

....and I thought I should be a little high then low.

Yes yes yes!! Most people are not comfortable with that idea, and I'm glad you figured it out early. Because of your (relatively) higher CYA level, there's no reason you can't dose to an FC of 12. The minimum is exactly that, a minimum...stay away from the minimum!!

Sorry, I have to get on my soapbox every now and then because people new to TFP tend to be a little gun-shy when it comes to running the FC a little higher.

Good work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.