Did a sand replacement in filter, next day the pool looks like a swamp

Sep 26, 2016
Helena, Al
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So, we were having issues with persistant algae on the bottom of the pool (for years) However, the water was still crystal clear. We went several days without a pump because of a broken hose. The pool had been vacuumed right before the hose broke so there was no algae on the bottom at that time. As the days went on, I ran a sub pump through a bucket with filter media just to keep the water from getting stagnat, and the water was starting to get a little cloudy, but still could see the bottom just fine. In fact, the algae did not return to the bottom for the entire time the pump was off. Once we got the pump running again, the algae was right back on the bottom of the pool. That's when we decided to change out the sand in our filter. This, we thought, would give us the ever-elusive perfect pool. Apparently, a big mistake. We proudly turned our freshly-sanded pump back on, shocked the pool and went to bed. In the morning, I expected to wake up to crystal clear water with dead algae on the bottom, but it looked exactly the same as it had before I shocked it. Later that afternoon, my husband vacuumed the pool to the filter. That's when it turned into a swamp...I can't see the bottom no matter how hard I look. I backwashed the filter and there wasn't anything of significance that I saw in the sight glass. The return pressure is great. So what is happening? Does my new sand need to be "seasoned" properly or something? 😂😂😂 Those are laughing tears of insanity, because I spent my entire weekend babying that f'n pool, and this is the thanks I get?! Please advise. Thank you!!

Your algae has nothing to do with your filter. It has everything to do with insufficient chlorine.

Post test results from your TF-100. You need to complete a proper SLAM to fully eradicate your ongoing algae growth.

PH was 7.8 , Chlorine was at 2 ppm before I shocked. 24 hours after shocking (used cal-hypo) chlorine was at 5ppm. Didn't test the pH again. I shocked again tonite, using the amount of liquid chlorine suggested on the pool calculator.

PH was 7.8 , Chlorine was at 2 ppm before I shocked. 24 hours after shocking (used cal-hypo) chlorine was at 5ppm. Didn't test the pH again. I shocked again tonite, using the amount of liquid chlorine suggested on the pool calculator.

SLAMming is an overall process, not a one-time action. Your chlorine level, whether for SLAM or normal purposes, is derived from your CYA number. Can you get us full test results from your TF-100?

SLAMming is an overall process, not a one-time action. Your chlorine level, whether for SLAM or normal purposes, is derived from your CYA number. Can you get us full test results from your TF-100?
You' were 100% right, I checked my CA level this morning and it was at 70. My chlorine levels were being added for a CA level of 40. I increased the amount of chlorine to correlate with the CA level, and the pool is slowly starting to clear. Thank you!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.