Diary of a swamp

Krickett said:
Manual. The only times I've had to fill up is after backwashes and vacuums. It was left unattended over the winter and spring with no change in the water level.

Well I don't know what your climate is like but I have a feeling if you left a class of water outside for the spring it would have evaporated.

I would bet you have an autofill, though be it hard to find. Only adding when backwashing is consistant, because an autofill will not compensate for that loss quickly.

I don't have any additional piping for auto fill. When I closed it last winter I lowered the water about 6". An autofill system would have filled it up eventually which didn't happen not to mention my water bill would have reflected it. Evaperation would have been offset by rain.

The day has finally come:

FC=10.5, CC=.5 -- It isn't 0 but it works. The sun has been out the last two days and that has helped a lot. Pool is still stained but hopefully it will fade over time and I'm hoping there are no side effects other than being somewhat aesthetically displeasing.

Lessons learned:

1) Don't let your pool sit unattended for long periods of time. I tried saving money and it didn't work. Pools cost money learn to live with it.
2) Here are my suggested steps for cleaning a swamp:
- Get as much debris out as possible and vacuum to waste really well to get additional smaller debris. Be sure to clean out pump basket often, as you will most likely encounter some larger debris. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum.
- Ensure PH, TA and CYA are properly set.
- Shock, shock, shock!!!!
- Brush at least once a day and backwash as necessary
- Within a few days add clarifier (Especially for sand filters, probably not necessary for DE or maybe cartridge) and vacuum after it cleared (about 24 hours for me).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.