Deepend swimout bench

Jul 21, 2017
Cookeville, Tn
Hello,

current construction of a 14 x 28 slope pool 3.5 to 6', vinyl liner, 3 steps formed in pool and an 18" full length bench at the deepend. Worried now about safety of small children trying to do cannonballs off back of the pool. Anyone have issues with benches at the deepend and kids. Never thought about this during the planning process but now friends and family are asking questions.

It's my first time having an inground pool, and concrete is already formed for this bench.

Thank you for any feedback.

You might check the code in your local area. Where I live, in Southern Indiana, there are restrictions on ledges/benches in the deep end for exactly the reason that you mention. I can grab a screen shot of the code if that'd help as guidance on what they have deemed as safe.

Dan

You may consider placing the bench along the side of the pool instead of at the end. The idea being that people won't have to jump over it into the water. This may not always be a good idea as it really depends on where people will likely be jumping.

I have a bench along one whole side of the pool. Diving isn't allowed since it's a play pool, but just for an extra bit of safety, I set an 8 inch tile every two feet along the top of the bench. I set them on a diagonal, and chose a tile that would contrast the pool surface. I carried the same pattern into my sunshelf. It works to help visualize the water depth, or I should say lack of depth.

I can tell you from experience in the two months that we've had our pool with a deep end that kids will jump into it from all sides and angles. I have had to tell kids not to jump too close to the edge for fear they are going to hit the edge of the pool. I'd be concerned about having an 18" ledge in the deep end if you will have young kids jumping in. We have a swimout that's plastic and extends out of the pool like a set of stairs, so nothing is in the deep end "diving well". If a kid jumps from the side of the pool towards the deep end, could they hit the bench? I'd say it's a possibility if your deck allows it, just seeing how little kids run around and jump in with my pool. They jump from all possible angles into the deep end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I appreciate all the ideas and feedback.. I guess since the concrete bench is already in I will need to put safety markers in place. I still need 2 more steps and pool bottom formed, then liner.

Both pool companies said these benches were a great addition and I though so as well. Probably over thinking it. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.