Deep Clean Sand Filter alternative

May 10, 2018
Burlington Ontario
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
If I wanted to deep clean my filter and I left the multiport head on. Turned it to backwash had a hose running into upturned hose in the intake would this be doing the same kind of thing. See the Diagram

That should be doing the same things. The location of the sand filter is not somewhere I want dirty water overflowing for an hour otherwise I would do that. This would allow me to direct the water away, without moving the heavy sand filter.

Also Thanks in advance, trouble free pool is amazing, been doing this for 6years plus and it's wonderful. From black pool open to sparkling in just over 4 days. :)

1715115558305.png

If I wanted to deep clean my filter and I left the multiport head on. Turned it to backwash had a hose running into upturned hose in the intake would this be doing the same kind of thing. See the Diagram

That should be doing the same things. The location of the sand filter is not somewhere I want dirty water overflowing for an hour otherwise I would do that. This would allow me to direct the water away, without moving the heavy sand filter.

Also Thanks in advance, trouble free pool is amazing, been doing this for 6years plus and it's wonderful. From black pool open to sparkling in just over 4 days. :)

View attachment 570947
Whats the reason for wanting to deep clean it? Doesnt seem to be a point in doing so unless youve got floc or other junk in it making it not function well.

Whats the reason for wanting to deep clean it? Doesnt seem to be a point in doing so unless youve got floc or other junk in it making it not function well.
2 reasons.
1. A deep clean as a preventative measure after opening my pool and sucking up the winter debris.
2. If this is effective I could effectively backwash without losing so much water.

What you are describing is just a backwash, but instead of using the high flow of a pool pump you'd be using the low flow of a garden hose. It would not replicate a deep clean, it in fact would be less effective than a normal backwash.
Here is the deep clean I am referring to - deep-cleaning-a-sand-filter, maybe some who's familiar with it can help.

If you are not familiar with the procedure basically a backwash leaves a lot to be desired. I've personally done this after already having performed a backwash and it remarkable how much stuff keeps coming out.

Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: Donldson
Here is the deep clean I am referring to
What you linked involves taking the mpv off and massaging the hose deep into the actual sand.

What you said was that you connected a garden hose to the MPV without removing it.

Those are two entirely different things. Which one did you do ?

Reactions: wireform
What you linked involves taking the mpv off and massaging the hose deep into the actual sand.

What you said was that you connected a garden hose to the MPV without removing it.

Those are two entirely different things. Which one did you do ?
Yes I have done the deep clean as the article suggests a few years back.

My thinking was:
A deep clean is Submersing a hose down into the sand with running water which loosens the debris in the sand and gradually debris makes it way to the top and pours out.

I figured water running in the intake and through the laterals would create the same action. Low pressure water slowly agitating the sand and loosening debris which would make its way up and then out the waste.

The principal is the same. Hindsight I think the latterals dissipate the waters force too much.

The only part which is the same is the fact the hose is running but deep cleaning a sand filter with the hose being pushed deep into the sand and debris buried in there floats up and out isn't even remotely close to what you're describing.

Reactions: Newdude
The only part which is the same is the fact the hose is running but deep cleaning a sand filter with the hose being pushed deep into the sand and debris buried in there floats up and out isn't even remotely close to what you're describing.
No the hose is not buried. The laterals are buried which are connected to the center pipe which has the hose water running into it through the inlet pipe. And water is pushed deep in to the sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support