Colchester,Vermont
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I'm getting reduced suction in my Filter (Rainbow Lifeguard Filter - M series) and am not sure what happened. Pump strainer basket is clean. For my first stab at addressing the problem, I replaced the 4 cartridges especially since I didn't know how old the cartridges were. We purchased this house/ pool last year, so this is our second summer with this pool. Changing the cartridges improved the suction some, but it is still not up to what it has been in the past.

The pool store suggested I buy a pressure gauge on the filter which it does not have. Before I do that I would like to hear TFP thoughts on what else I should be considering. I don't want to throw $ in to a gauge if there are bigger issues to be addressed.

You should definitely have a pressure gauge on your filter. That way you know when to clean the cartridges!

Your filter is on the pressure side of the pump.

Something is plugged either on the pressure side or the suction side. If on the suction side, you would have no pressure on the filter. If on the pressure side, you have high pressure on the filter.

Let us know more information and we can provide some insight.

Take care.

Just contacted INYOPools.com about getting a pressure gauge for my Rainbow Lifeguard Filter and was told it was obsolete and no longer available. Unfortunately, he said the gauge for that particular filter is proprietary, so a standard gauge would not work.

He said to determine if the problem was the filter/pressure side that I should run the filter without the cartridges and see if the suction increases. I did that with no increase in suction. Is there anything else I should be doing to determine if it is pressure vs. suction issue? If it is plugged on the suction side, what do I next?

Big thank you to all who help out on this site

Check the skimmer basket, pump basket. Then it will be on to the line from the pool to the pump. You have a plug of some kind between the pool and pump. Or your pump impeller is plugged.

Any way to use an adapter to install a pressure gauge? Otherwise you should look for someplace between the pump and filter to put a pressure gauge.

Take care.

I always keep an eye out to carefully clean the skimmer basket and the pump basket. Both are definitely clear. To check out the impeller, I removed the pump basket and took a bent coat hanger to it to see if there was any debris. Didn't get anything out at all. Maybe I should try that again?

No, I haven't vacuumed at all this season because there was no need. I really stay on top of skimming debris out, have a solar cover which reduces debris, etc. Pool has been quite clean. I'm concerned now that I am starting to see a bit of cloudiness that I think is from the reduced filtering. I have increased my SWG use a bit in hopes of keeping up with this until I figure out what to do about the filter.
Thank you for responding.
Any other ideas?

Continue to test your water and keep your FC at target using bleach and brush the pool to mix.

All I can say is you have something restricting your water to your pump. Next step is to take out the pump basket, put a hose into the suction line, and run the water. It should show up in skimmer.

Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.