San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I stopped using my old (broken) pressure-side cleaner a few years ago. At that time, I scheduled the booster pump for the cleaner to run once a day for 5 minutes, just to clean out the water in the pipes and to give the pump a short spin so that it would be in good working order if/when I ever decided to get a new pressure-side cleaner.

Well, I'm now fairly certain I will never get another pressure-side cleaner and I am not aware of any other good use for the booster pump. So I was thinking about just throwing the old booster pump away and capping off the cleaner's PVC inlet/outlet pipes at my equipment pad. My thought was to use my air compressor to try to blow out the water sitting in the soon-to-be-unused pipe and then try to cap the outlet hole in the pool wall with some sort of rubber plug so that water doesn't get back into it.

I'd welcome any advice you might offer on the matter:
i) Should I just keep the old booster pump for some reason? It clutters my equipment pad a bit, but isn't doing any real harm, so I could just continue to ignore it as I have done for the last few years.
ii) Do I not need to worry about water getting in the unused pipe and becoming all stale and nasty?
iii) If I do need to clear the water out of the unused pipe and seal it off, then is a rubber plug of the right size the best approach?

Thank you.

I stopped using my old (broken) pressure-side cleaner a few years ago. At that time, I scheduled the booster pump for the cleaner to run once a day for 5 minutes, just to clean out the water in the pipes and to give the pump a short spin so that it would be in good working order if/when I ever decided to get a new pressure-side cleaner.

Well, I'm now fairly certain I will never get another pressure-side cleaner and I am not aware of any other good use for the booster pump. So I was thinking about just throwing the old booster pump away and capping off the cleaner's PVC inlet/outlet pipes at my equipment pad. My thought was to use my air compressor to try to blow out the water sitting in the soon-to-be-unused pipe and then try to cap the outlet hole in the pool wall with some sort of rubber plug so that water doesn't get back into it.

i) Should I just keep the old booster pump for some reason? It clutters my equipment pad a bit, but isn't doing any real harm, so I could just continue to ignore it as I have done for the last few years.
ii) Do I not need to worry about water getting in the unused pipe and becoming all stale and nasty?
iii) If I do need to clear the water out of the unused pipe and seal it off, then is a rubber plug of the right size the best approach?

Thank you.
Have you considered selling the pump on craigslist and then just plumbing the line as an extra return outlet? That’s what I just did on mine. You do need to worry about stagnant water in that line.

Thank you.
Hook the hose feeding the booster directly to the pipe the outlet of the pump feeds, remove pump, problem solved. Or, hard plumb it with PVC for a more permanent solution.

Have you considered selling the pump on craigslist and then just plumbing the line as an extra return outlet? That’s what I just did on mine. You do need to worry about stagnant water in that line.
Oooh, great idea. Letting the line serve as an extra return line will be super simple to do. I feel like a dummy for not thinking of that initially. THANK YOU!

Hook the hose feeding the booster directly to the pipe the outlet of the pump feeds, remove pump, problem solved. Or, hard plumb it with PVC for a more permanent solution.
Letting the line serve as an extra return line will be super simple to do. I feel like a dummy for not thinking of that initially. THANK YOU!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.