Deck ladder advice

May 4, 2018
Colchester, CT
Hello, I am new here and would like some advice on a pool deck ladder? We have had our 27' above ground pool for over 10 years but we FINALLY got a deck built this past fall. I am in the market for a ladder to now install from the deck into the pool. The deck was built adjacent to the pool and therefore the deck does not overhang the edge as you sometimes see. The picture below I found elsewhere on the forum and is not my deck, but it is similar to what I am talking about and how mine looks.

So, my concern for a ladder is that I do not want anyone stepping on the top of the pool wall as they go in and out of the pool? I haven't really seen any ladders (locally or in a quick google search) that would prevent this. I am looking for ideas and links if anyone can help. I guess I am thinking of something that has a bit of a platform that would be above the pool wall (slightly) so the load bearing would be on the ladder in the pool and on where it connects to the deck- not on the top of the pool wall. Does that make sense? Am I being overly paranoid? Thanks for any advice!

pool%2015.jpg

A frame ladders have platforms that you are looking for.

Yes- that could work definitely. The wife was looking for something more of the 'stair' type... like the picture below... but on the one below that top rail would be stepped on which is what I am afraid of. Something like the one in the amazon link, but stairs and not a ladder. Looked on Amazon and don't see anything that combines both.:(

pool2.jpg

Hey neighbor, have you considered a set of steps instead of a ladder?

The Confer curve steps would work perfectly on that deck. I've been super happy with how mine have held up over the last 3 years. They still look and feel brand new. The two tabs that hold the steps can easily reach over the top rail and attach to the deck.

The Confer 7200 series ladders are also super sturdy and you can get a deck conversion kit for them that mounts them to the deck.

Attachments

• 20160724_152200_resized.jpg
    20160724_152200_resized.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 276
The deck conversion for the 7200 series ladder will go over your top rail with a plastic platform if you are really concerned with staying off the top rail.
It also maintains the full handrail. I would look similar to the one linked by Larry above.

We have this as well (Chuck's steps previously mentioned), but without the overhang. It's so not an issue. We love these stairs! This is a bad picture for it but it's from yesterday, and if you look carefully you can see. Part of what we love about these stairs is how subtle they are. They are full stairs, not a ladder, so the dog can get out, but the scalloped nature of the railing makes them almost invisible. 1-20180505_163504.jpg

Yesterday I installed an old 4x4 deck on my pool with steps leading to ground level. The deck and steps were left overs that I pulled off my house when I installed a large screened in porch/deck/ and new steps to the house. For the Pool ladder, I just used the same standard plastic ladder that came with the pool. I cut the outside legs off and mounted it to the deck platform. It’s very sturdy and looks good. The deck I used was not the same level as the top rim of the pool, it was about 15” shorter. I cut the ladder so I could use the first outside step to mount to the deck platform using stainless screws.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a similar issue. My deck is slightly lower than the pool rim. Our original ladder broke but don’t recall people stepping on rim too much and it did not have a platform. We bought steps last year and could not get them to attach. By time we got them positioned flat the plastic arms to connect were not long enough so they kept floating away. Bought th confer ladder this year and it does have a platform. Not sure if it will work yet or not as currently putting it together.

We have the one Larry has, works very well. You can adjust the height. Hard to get full of water but I think this year we will put some mortar mix in it.

I have these stairs, I filled 5 bleach bottles w/ sand then used two industrial sized zip ties zipped together and went through the 2nd set of holes from the bottom of the stairs closest to the wall. I ran the zip ties through the handles of the bleach bottles. By using the 2nd set of holes the bottles don't touch the floor. Obviously you'll need a mask and snorkel to do this while steps are in water.

When it's time to close the pool you just have to cut the zip ties and then you can remove the stairs over the winter. I like taking the stairs out so my aqua bug vacuum has a full run of the pool with out hitting the stairs.

To OP, like other posted the part of the steps the screws into you desk slides vertically to adjust the height, so it'll straddle your pool wall w/ no problem. There's about 18" worth of depth adjustment also. I prefer the back of my stairs about 2" from the wall. My neighbor has the same stairs and has his further away from the way, which on occasion I've seen kids trying to hide behind them between the stairs and pool wall. Depending on the water depth, higher than top stair, you could get yourself stuck back there as I've done it myself obviously realizing the danger of it and letting him know and my own kids not to hide back there.

I'll post a picture later when I get home.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.