Deck cracking before pool is complete???

May 22, 2014
The Woodlands, TX
I'm having these cracking issues pop up relatively quickly on one side of the pool, and would like some help on what I should expect from my builder. The deck was poured in December, but the builder is moving so slow that I haven't paid the final payment yet. Almost immediately after pouring we had one small crack show up, and they put an expansion joint in. The deck was already coated the wrong color, so they said that once we doubled back and coated the deck that it would be invisible.

Since then, everything seemed okay until we had our first large rainstorm of spring. Then these other 4 cracks showed up. It looks to me like the deck on that side of the pool might be sinking, but I can't be sure. There is a lip between the deck and the coping where the other 3 sides are flush.

My builder is proposing that the surface be grinded, resurfaced, and then new spray decking. Is that the appropriate approach? Am I going to just be dealing with this kind of cracking as soon as he leaves after that? I understand that it's not if but when with concern to concrete cracking, but I haven't seen anything like this with the cracking going through coping. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• sinking feeling.jpg
    sinking feeling.jpg
    693.4 KB · Views: 78
  • crack 1.jpg
    crack 1.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 78
  • crack 2.jpg
    crack 2.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 76
  • crack 3.jpg
    crack 3.jpg
    778.3 KB · Views: 74
  • crack 4.jpg
    crack 4.jpg
    824.5 KB · Views: 71
  • crack 5.jpg
    crack 5.jpg
    799.1 KB · Views: 69
  • caulk.jpg
    caulk.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 76
Do you have any pictures of the steel and forming before they poured the deck?

What is the material in the joint between the deck and the coping?

Generally once concrete has cracked, there is not a lot that can be done to create a permanent fix. That crack will always be a weak point in the structure. I have had limited success with epoxy injections coupled with cutting a deep expansion joint, but I am usually working on decks that are 10+ years old.

I believe that it's mastic caulking between the coping and the deck. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the forming. It all happened while I was out of town. The closest picture I have is just gunite, but you can see the large amount of backfill that needed to happen.

Attachments

• predeck.jpg
    predeck.jpg
    666.5 KB · Views: 35
Those look like typical concrete shrinkage cracks. Nothing looks structural or from settling. That type of cracking comes with choosing poured concrete.

Do you know if they cut off those pieces of rebar sticking out of the shell?

It is weird to see cracks on such a small span of concrete that doesn't have some load on both sides, doubly so because of the proximity to the expansion joint.

I don't know how much the cracking of the coping tiles is related - the look fairly fragile and the cracks may just be part of their natural appearance. Usually if the cracks are related there will be a distinct crack line going from the deck to the coping.

Crack 2, however, does look like something is going on.

If they didn't remove the rebar sticking out of the pool shell, I have seen that cause issues with deck and coping cracking. The deck and pool are trying to move independently but are tied together by the rebar. Not saying this is the case in your deck, but just my experience.

I don't think there is any way to get rid of those cracks permanently without removing and re-pouring the deck slabs. Even then there is no guarantee it won't crack.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.