Debris blowing back into pool

Jul 18, 2017
FOXBOROUGH/MA
Hello,
Following SLAM method after opening pool two days ago. Clearing up quickly and I've been vacuuming to waste for the first three vacuums. I can now almost see the bottom of the deep end (8') .

My pool water level was low today so instead of vacuuming to waste I used the filter for the light deposits in the shadow end. I also like to put those fine mesh socks on the outlet jets just in case anything makes it past filter (it also helps me watch the output pressure as I vacuum to ensure no clogs or drops)

As I was cleaning I noticed a debris cloud coming out of the sock.

is this a mechanical issue with the filter? Or a brain issue with the me?

other background
- just replaced filter zeosand with ew zeosand and had backwashed to clean several days before.
- I cleaned and inspected the laterals but didn't see any issue
- alk 100
-ph 7.8
- calc 150 (a little low, will boost)
-fc 16
-cc 1
- cya 40

Chemically speaking you're doing the right thing for the SLAM Process. Your CC is a bit elevated at the moment so we know your free chlorine is doing its job on something.

Mechanically, that's the question. Zeosand is not our #1 choice for filter media, but we do have many members who use it. So if we assume the (new) zeo is fine, and the laterals you inspected are good, then your filter may just need more time. Perhaps dead algae dust or something is overwhelming the filter and making past that zeosand and it will take longer. You aren't noticing anything odd with the MPV are you? No water leaking out to waste when it shouldn't?

For now, I would keep doing what you're doing. Let's see if that zeo starts to capture the dust or whatever is making past the filter. With sand we sometimes add a little DE to help with filtration, so I don't know if you 've every considered that in your situation.

Funny, so I added some de yesterday after I saw the debris blowing back in and as I'm adding it I look over and white cloud comes out of the return, so de is passing through.

As for the mpv, I think the might be the issue. I'm hearing some weird sound like gurgling.

I'm hearing some weird sound like gurgling.
You may be getting air in the system. That's a sound that is common when the system is turned off and then water starts to shift around. You could remove the top of the MPV to inspect the spider gasket area. You might see something obvious like a worn/pinched gasket. If not, you may need to reconsider going back into the filter to inspect those laterals and how well they are connected to the center hub assembly.

You may be getting air in the system. That's a sound that is common when the system is turned off and then water starts to shift around. You could remove the top of the MPV to inspect the spider gasket area. You might see something obvious like a worn/pinched gasket. If not, you may need to reconsider going back into the filter to inspect those laterals and how well they are connected to the center hub assembly.
Is there a way to do this without have to get replace all that he new zeosand?

Also, I have been looking for where to buy Dr dryden glass, but can't find place that sells/delivers to Massachusetts

Is there a way to do this without have to get replace all that he new zeosand?
You may be able to place it all on a tarp in the yard after removal while you remove the laterals to inspect everything. Then replace it all once you're done. Glass media is another item we don't generally recommend, but like zeosand, some TFP members do use it. I'm afraid I don't know of a source in your area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.