Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My inground pool has built in stairs. I have had an ongoing problem with debris collecting in the stair area. There is only minor improvement when I adjust the position of the eyeballs on the jets.
I do not have any jets in the stair, and there is a jet about 2 ft 'upstream' of the stair opening.
90degree jet.jpeg
Last week I installed a 90 degree elbow (from the plumbing section of the store) and attached an eyeball to return jet. So far It works fantastic, the water flow bounces upwards off the steps, creates a flow off the wall that keeps the debris out of the stair cutout.

90degree jet(2).jpeg
If someone decided to use the elbow as a step, could it crack the threads in the pool wall? Would that be a cut the concrete, and digout to replace the jet?
Is it worth the risk?

I see there various some 90deg elbows available specifically for pool jets. The tradeoff would be keeping a low profile to minimize potential damage to the pool while maintaining a good flow rate.

Here are two Hayward options:
Hayward Slotted Directional Eyeball Pool Wall Fitting Return Jet SP1419A
https://torontopoolsupplies.ca/hayward-spx1419c1-slotted-ball-series-fittings.html

Others include
https://www.spatex.com.au/waterway-1-flexible-90-degree-return-eyeball-1.5-m
Infusion Threaded Inlet V-Fitting

Would you recommend any of these?
This could also be ideal in my neighbours' 1970's inground pool that could use an elbow to achieve a circular flow around the pool.

Last edited:
If someone decided to use the elbow as a step, could it crack the threads in the pool wall? Would that be a cut the concrete, and digout to replace the jet?
Is it worth the risk?
Nice setup!
It is possible to significant damage. Can't assess your risk. Do you have people that cannot follow instruction to not use it as a step?
Would you recommend any of these?
The last two you listed are better options than the first two.

If someone decided to use the elbow as a step, could it crack the threads in the pool wall?
I would agree and say potentially yes, it is possible. That would be a bad thing. I currently have one return jet with a cracked threaded inset (due to soil settling) and I know eventually I'll have to cut & dig to operate on that rascal. Not looking forward to it. But is it likely to happen? I guess it depends on the activity you get in the pool. I agree with PS that the later two options seem a bit less risky.

Thanks for your input.

The risk of using it as a step is low. Really only if I have young children over and they lower themselves in or out of the pool especially when people might be sitting on the stairs. But the impact is fairly high so I wanted to see if I could minimize it. My concerns with the Options 1 and 2 are that they are such a low profile, that they would have such a pressure flow ((high velocity, low flow). I think you agree.

I had an incorrect link, the other option I was considering is
90Degree Eyeball
This looks like it would give me the flow, direction, and the fact its a ball would like move or crack the ball if stepped on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.