Dealing with scaling in SWG

With a pool cover your evaporation should be very minimal. Getting the TA down should be as simple as adding acid every other day for awhile.

I would not bother with borates.

Reactions: JamesW
No borates in my pool. Going to need 91lbs to bring it up to 50!
Seems like a lot.

I think that you are maybe overestimating the volume of your pool.

What is the depth?

A 20 x 40 with an average depth of 5 feet is only about 30,000 gallons.

Your pool would need to average about 6.35 feet deep to hit 38,000 gallons.

If you are going to do borates, I would probably only do 55 pounds, which should raise the level to about 38 ppm in 30,000 gallons.

1689532325812.png

1689532432827.png

Seems like a lot.

I think that you are maybe overestimating the volume of your pool.

What is the depth?

A 20 x 40 with an average depth of 5 feet is only about 30,000 gallons.

Your pool would need to average about 6.35 feet deep to hit 38,000 gallons.

If you are going to do borates, I would probably only do 55 pounds, which should raise the level to about 38 ppm in 30,000 gallons.

View attachment 514211

View attachment 514212
I have it set to 38K in pool math, but yes it I did probably over estimate. The shallow end is 3 ft and deep end is 8ft. I'll start off with one 55lb bucket and see where the measurement lands, after I bring my TA down.

I'll start off with one 55lb bucket and see where the measurement lands, after I bring my TA down.
If you are going to add boric acid, I would do it now because it will make lowering the TA easier.

You also need to leave the pool uncovered to allow the carbon dioxide to get out.

When you add acid, it converts TA (bicarbonate) into carbon dioxide and the carbon dioxide has to be able to get out so that the pH can rise back up.

If you are going to add boric acid, I would do it now because it will make lowering the TA easier.

You also need to leave the pool uncovered to allow the carbon dioxide to get out.

When you add acid, it converts TA (bicarbonate) into carbon dioxide and the carbon dioxide has to be able to get out so that the pH can rise back up.
Oh thanks for the info! I thought I read another thread that TA has to be lowered first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You won’t see any worthwhile effect of borates at 30ppm. They need to be at 50ppm or higher. I typically aim for 60-80ppm. The pH buffering effect is weak at normal pool pH so it takes a significant amount of borates to see any difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.