Dead rat in the pool

CamiS

Gold Supporter
May 22, 2022
Massachusetts
Good evening. I found a pretty big dead rat in our skimmer. Do I need to shock the pool to SLAM level or a decent overchlorination would suffice? (my SLAM level is 24… I already brought FC up to 16ppm and stopped, wondering if I really need to bring it up to 24; it’s last week of vacation and probably summer in MA and letting my kid swim in FC higher than 10 makes me nervous - hence the question… but I don’t want to take any health risks either; my cya right now is 60). Thank you.

No need. I assume the body was not decomposed.

No issue swimming up to 24 ppm with a 60 CYA. Will not even know the difference.

Good evening. I found a pretty big dead rat in our skimmer. Do I need to shock the pool to SLAM level or a decent overchlorination would suffice? (my SLAM level is 24… I already brought FC up to 16ppm and stopped, wondering if I really need to bring it up to 24; it’s last week of vacation and probably summer in MA and letting my kid swim in FC higher than 10 makes me nervous - hence the question… but I don’t want to take any health risks either; my cya right now is 60). Thank you.
16ppm should be fine. Let it circulate. Continue to Follow the FC/CYA Levels based on your CYA of 60.

Sadly I've found many a woodland creature in my pool. Having a couple of acres in a neighborhood of similarly wooded properties keeps them around. While normal FC would be fine, I almost always took it to about half SLAM level for my CYA and called it a day.

Reactions: Newdude
Rats take about a month to fully decompose, depending on the size, humidity, temp, ect... There's no health concern to you after even a few days. I've had the pleasure of locating a dead skunk under my gazebo after a few weeks of it sitting there, bloated gassy and all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.