Dead pump

tone100

Jul 12, 2008
I was out of town for a week and just got back. My pump isn’t running. It’s a Sta-Rite Intellipro variable speed.

The display is blank but the orange back light works. It’s connected to an easy touch system.

Any suggestions where to start for troubleshooting?

My daughter said while we were gone that lightning struck close by.

Power down everything. Then power it up after a few minutes.
What other items do you have connected to the Easytouch?

I turned the breakers off for a few minutes and it didn’t change anything.

I have a Pentair heater and air blower for the spa connected to the same controller.

They both seem to work. I turned off the gas to the heater and told the system to heat the pool and it powered up.

So no SWCG, you do not have Screenlogic, etc.
That would make the only thing connected to the RS485 J20 connection the green and yellow wires from the Intellipro.

If you put the Easytouch in Service Mode, what is showing on the pump display?

So no SWCG, you do not have Screenlogic, etc.
That would make the only thing connected to the RS485 J20 connection the green and yellow wires from the Intellipro.

If you put the Easytouch in Service Mode, what is showing on the pump display?
That’s correct. No SWG or Screenlogic.

I put it in service mode and the screen is still blank. Just the orange backlight.

Not good.
Last step would be take the ET out of things completely (thought technically Service Mode did that). Power everything down, disconnect the RS485 cable from the pump, and power it all back on.

Last edited:
How old is this pump? If you are within warranty period, file a claim.
It’s 8 years old. I’m fine with buying a new one if it’s dead. Just wanted to see if I was missing anything.

I see Amazon has the Pentair 011056 for $1,400. Looks to be the cheapest I can get a new one for. Is this model any good?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is the basic Intelliflo VSF pump available. That price is pretty good. My go to place has them for $1750.

The Intelliflo3 is the most recent version and is a bit more efficient. It does take using an app to control it unless you buy it with an optional control screen. It will connect to the Easytouch without issue.

That is the basic Intelliflo VSF pump available. That price is pretty good. My go to place has them for $1750.

The Intelliflo3 is the most recent version and is a bit more efficient. It does take using an app to control it unless you buy it with an optional control screen. It will connect to the Easytouch without issue.
Will the 011018 work with my Easy Touch?

I don’t have anything fancy but I do like the controls.

Appreciate all the help.

Sorry. Don’t why I typed that model number. I meant to ask if the 011056 will work with my Easy Touch.
It will. I suspect the unions on your existing pump will match right up. You may need new union halfs for the pump side.

If you do not have one, now would be a good time to install a surge protector in the panel your pump is powered from.

T,

As a final step, before buying a new pump, I would test to make sure you have 240 volts AC right at the pump. Use a voltmeter and test between the two hot inputs, L1 and L2.

Do not test L1 to ground and then L2 to ground as that can give you a false reading. You must test between L1 and L2 right at the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mknauss
T,

As a final step, before buying a new pump, I would test to make sure you have 240 volts AC right at the pump. Use a voltmeter and test between the two hot inputs, L1 and L2.

Do not test L1 to ground and then L2 to ground as that can give you a false reading. You must test between L1 and L2 right at the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I checked that and it’s it 241v.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.