Dartmouth, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC1 (RC-35)
Hi, I'm in the middle of pool opening and am doing SLAMM. I changed my DE filter to cartridge since last year. Each year during and after SLAMM I have had a tan white claylike sludge which I assume is dead algae. Vaccum to filter used to require 5+ backwashes to get through. No option to vac to waste.
So I have taken to vac to leaf basket with skimmer sock. This clogs frequently (prob needs to be done 30+ times) but seems less wasteful and easier than numerous backwashes/DE replacements.
So asking if there are any other suggestions-
1. Should I just vac to cartridge filter and hose it down if/when it clogs?.- I have not done this yet.
2. Just keep doing this?
3. Just run the robot a lot?
4. Are there other solutions/suggestions

1. Should I just vac to cartridge filter and hose it down if/when it clogs?.- I have not done this yet.
Best practice is to clean the filters when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure. Downside of cartridge filter and slam. If you have two sets you can swap to keep going while you clean, or better yet, use a backup/old set to reduce wear and tear.
2. Just keep doing this?
Seems like cleaning cartridges is a better solution.
3. Just run the robot a lot?
I did and it really helped me.
4. Are there other solutions/suggestions
Got nothing more, others may pipe up...

Welcome back...BTW.

Reactions: robermax
Each year during and after SLAMM I have had a tan white claylike sludge
Every year? :scratch: What part of the country are you in? City/State? We don't see it in your profile. Dead algae wouldn't be like sludge. Do you add any other chemicals to the water other than salt, acid, etc? Any special products used for winterization other than RV antifreeze?

Every year? :scratch: What part of the country are you in? City/State? We don't see it in your profile. Dead algae wouldn't be like sludge. Do you add any other chemicals to the water other than salt, acid, etc? Any special products used for winterization other than RV antifreeze?
Thanks for your reply. I am southeast New England and no other chemicals.

I can understand the change in DE on the fingers as it collects algae. By your description, your cart filter seems to be reacting the same, although the consistency is not something I typically see. A bit odd. I would still encourage you to follow the SLAM to teh bets of your ability. Whatever this product, or combination of products, is on your filter, the chlorine should neutralize it. I would just vacuum like normal and rinse the cart filter as needed. Robot should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.