Dead Algae keeps blowing back into pool

Paynster

May 22, 2019
Texas
I've SLAMed the pool after my pump broke. It was out for about two months so the water was really green. I started this process on Saturday night. I flocked last night (Monday) hoping it would clear the pool water and I could vacuum to waste, but the water was still extremely cloudy. I still vacuumed to waste even though I couldn't see the bottom. I back-washed and then turned the pump on. It ran fine for about 15 minutes, and the dead algae started blowing back into the pool. I stopped and backwashed again, then about 10 minutes later, dead algae blew back into the pool.

I have a Hayward Sand filter with multivalve, Saltwater pool.
CA 40
TA 120
PH 7.4
FC 11
TC .5
TH 250

What do I need to do to get the water clear?

Attachments

• IMG_2763.jpeg
    IMG_2763.jpeg
    845.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2762.jpeg
    IMG_2762.jpeg
    633.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2760.jpeg
    IMG_2760.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 26
Welcome to TFP! :wave: It sounds as though you prematurely used floc (which we seldom recommend) and didn't actually perform the SLAM Process accurately by "maintaining" the proper (elevated) FC level until all 3 SLAM criteria were completed. Hopefully you were able to remove all the floc, otherwise you could have a new problem to deal with later. For now though, I would go back to the SLAM Process article and be sure to follow it accurately using your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit to monitor the elevated SLAM FC level.

If you have questions about the SLAM Process let us know.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: It sounds as though you prematurely used floc (which we seldom recommend) and didn't actually perform the SLAM Process accurately by "maintaining" the proper (elevated) FC level until all 3 SLAM criteria were completed. Hopefully you were able to remove all the floc, otherwise you could have a new problem to deal with later. For now though, I would go back to the SLAM Process article and be sure to follow it accurately using your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit to monitor the elevated SLAM FC level.

If you have questions about the SLAM Process let us know.
Ok. So I'll keep SLAMing. Any help on the algae blowing back into the pool?

Any help on the algae blowing back into the pool?
Sand filters take their own time capturing dead algae. I would recommend sticking with the SLAM Process protocol first. Once you pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, then evaluate the water clarity and if debris is still passing through the filter. In some cases, at the end of a SLAM, adding some DE helps to catch the finer stuff. If your filter/sand are old, you may need to open it up and do a thorough deep clean of the sand.

Reactions: stretchphoto
These may help.

Sand filters take their own time capturing dead algae. I would recommend sticking with the SLAM Process protocol first. Once you pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, then evaluate the water clarity and if debris is still passing through the filter. In some cases, at the end of a SLAM, adding some DE helps to catch the finer stuff. If your filter/sand are old, you may need to open it up and do a thorough deep clean of the sand.
I did pass the overnight chlorine loss test, that's why I was moving on to clearing out debris.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.