Dead Algae Dust

Vince-1961

Jul 1, 2014
St. Simons Island, GA
Water is clear and balanced, but it seems like a never ending battle to get rid of the constant layer of greenish-yellow "dust" on the bottom. Any disturbance, like a foot step, just produces a mini-explosion of the dust, so vacuuming is a very slow process. I presume it's dead algae, but it's so small a lot of it goes through the sand filter and then through the cartridge filter and ends up right back in the pool, thereby turning the water green. (Yes, I know, vacuum to waste instead.)

Any suggestions on how to minimize or even eliminate this "dust"?

I presume it's dead algae, but it's so small a lot of it goes through the sand filter and then through the cartridge filter and ends up right back in the pool, thereby turning the water green.
That actually sounds like an active algae situation. That was my same experience back in 2013 before I found TFP. Have you done an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to confirm? Maybe post a full set of water test results?

I had the same issue after a SLAM. The remaining dead algae dust was just passing through my sand filter. Tried to filter it out for a week but no improvements.

The trick for me was to add DE to my sand filter up to 1 PSI and within 12 hours of filtering and constant brushing it all was gone.

Confirm with OCLT that it's not algae. If it's not maybe it's just dirt/dust/debris/pollen that's blowing into your pool? If it is, try a skimmer sock in your skimmer to help collect it before it even gets to your filter. Sand filters are the slowest to clear and don't get as small of particles as DE or cartridge filters do. BUT if it's active algae, that's a different story and filtering won't fix it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.