DE Powder

JeffB30

May 8, 2024
NJ
I read your article regarding adding DE powder to a sand filter. I followed your instructions and adding powder 1/4 cuo at a time until the psi went up 1psi. You article mentioned that the psi may go up rapidily the first 25 hours after the first time that I add the DE and thats exactly what happened. After 12 hours it went from 19psi to 30psi.

I assume that i should backwash. But my question is - Do I add the DE powder again after backwashing? Should i add the DE powder after every backwash?

I personally wouldn’t recommend doing that as a regular routine. As you see, it can cause your filter to load up quickly and require more frequent backwashing. I usually only suggest that after a SLAM and if a person is having issues achieving clarity. If your water is clear and balanced, it’s unnecessary.

Reactions: Newdude
I read that it’s a good idea to add a little DE to help the filter trap very fine/small things that the sand filter will not get due to their small size.
If your pool is clear without adding DE, don't add it. In the case of a sand filter, adding DE is used when the water gets very cloudy, which is usually algae even if the water isn't green. Algae and sand filters aren't a good mix, so the filter needs a bit of help. Once the water clears it isn't needed, especially if you follow the proper chemical guidelines.