DE in pool

Goldenzrule

Jun 6, 2018
Newtown, CT
I'm getting DE back in the pool. I have not yet inspected anything and wondering if it's more common to have a cracked manifold or torn grid in the filter, or an issue with the spider gasket in the multiport? It's my understanding that any of these issues can result in DE coming back into the pool.

Did something happen to the pool in proximity to you discovering DE in the water? What’s been going on?

Did something happen to the pool in proximity to you discovering DE in the water? What’s been going on?
Not sure what you mean by anything happening I proximity. Nothing has changed in landscaping around it if that's what you mean. We got a new liner this year, which is darker, so possibly it leaked DE back into the pool previously and I didn't know.

I did open the filter today to inspect and realize the company that did the liner, who claimed to clean the filter, did not. They did a lot of shady things, including never got the pool running, I had to do it myself. They said they cleaned it and I suspect what I thought was DE remnants where I thought they cleaned, was probably some of the mortar from the coping we had them redo. I had found they dumped a bunch of the old mortar behind my shed 🤬.

Anyway, I cleaned the filter, inspected and didn't see anything that stood out with the manifold or grid. What I did notice is this water continuously leaking. The skimmers were blocked off with gizzmos and the multi valve was set to closed. Does this point to a bad spider gasket in the valve? (Can see video at Dropbox link below)

Is it raining ? Hard to tell what’s going on with the video.

Did you disassemble the grid assembly completely and check all the grids ? Sometimes tears can be very tiny. Also, look at the manifold and make sure there are no cracks. Also check the standpipe o-ring between the top manifold and outlet pipe.

Not surprising that they lied about cleaning the filter. They probably just backwashed it and said it was “cleaned”.

Depending on the age of the grids, sometimes it's just better/easier to replace them. And the manifold as well. In other words, a filter rebuild. Just start fresh and stop guessing.
I just posted a new thread (forgot about this one):

I replaced everything and still getting DE in the pool. Wondering about the brand new multiport now as shown in that thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.