Jake&Clan

Jun 17, 2022
Cedarville, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I need to deep clean the fingers of my DE filter but don't have any "filter cleaner" to soak them in. I've read online you can use a 5:1 ratio of Muriatic Acid and water. Is this an acceptable solution? I'll have to get creative with what bucket I have that will fit this but...

I've read online you can use a 5:1 ratio of Muriatic Acid and water. Is this an acceptable solution?
No.

Filters rarely need to be cleaned in any sort of chemical solution.

Hosing the elements, grids or fingers is usually enough.

If you want to use a solution, use the following advice.

For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils are present, soak the element for at least one hour (over night is more effective) in (1) a commercial filter cleaner; or (2) one cup trisodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons water; or (3) one cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water.

I need to deep clean the fingers of my DE filter but don't have any "filter cleaner" to soak them in. I've read online you can use a 5:1 ratio of Muriatic Acid and water. Is this an acceptable solution? I'll have to get creative with what bucket I have that will fit this but...
What is making you think you need to do a deep clean? Asking because a couple of years ago before I found TFP I was in the same boat. Then I realized it was the pool chemistry that was the problem, not the fingers on my DE filter that were working precisely as intended.

What is making you think you need to do a deep clean? Asking because a couple of years ago before I found TFP I was in the same boat. Then I realized it was the pool chemistry that was the problem, not the fingers on my DE filter that were working precisely as intended.
The fact that the PSI on the pump keeps spiking up, or at least it was, in a very short period of time. Algea bloom really did a number on it. I would backwash the thing and have to put another 4 lb of de in it and back wash it again the next day. Never seen a PSI climb so quickly. Did 3 back washes. The pool is now clean but I suspect that the pores of the fingers are clogged up. I've never soaked the filter before. I just sprayed it off with the hose last week for the first time. Pool chemistry is perfect.

No.

Filters rarely need to be cleaned in any sort of chemical solution.

Hosing the elements, grids or fingers is usually enough.

If you want to use a solution, use the following advice.

A late reply but here it is for anyone that comes across this later. Not sure which filter the OP has, but I have a Hayward DE filter with the finger things (not cartridges) and the manual specifically says to do a muriatic acid soak at the end of each season.

the manual specifically says to do a muriatic acid soak at the end of each season.
It might suggest or even recommend that, but, in my opinion, it is bad advice.

Soaking various things in acid might periodically be helpful, but it comes at a huge cost in damages to whatever is exposed to the acid.

Acid washing should never be done as a routine thing; it should only be done if it is absolutely necessary and only at the least time and concentration necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.