DE Filter pressure

Jul 12, 2018
Marlboro, NJ
I'm in the middle of a SLAM, and have my Hayward DE3620 filter running. I am not sure if it's actually working right, or if the pressure gauge is not working right. At 2150RPM on my pump, the gauge reads 6psi. At higher RPM, the gauge rises as I would expect. When I check the filter later, the pressure hasn't gone up, but I can see that the flow from the returns is significantly decreased, and there's a bubble at the top of my pump basket within a few hours of startup. I have taken this as a sign the filter is clogging up and have backwashed and recharged the DE, but this can't be an every few hours occurrence, can it?

Well, DE filters certainly fill-up very fast when in SLAM mode, that is true. However your gauge certainly could be suspect. It's quite common after winter. Does the needle fall to zero when off? In any case, if you have doubtes about its reliability, you might consider replacing it with one of these: Flow Meters and PSI Gauges.

Well, DE filters certainly fill-up very fast when in SLAM mode, that is true. However your gauge certainly could be suspect. It's quite common after winter. Does the needle fall to zero when off? In any case, if you have doubtes about its reliability, you might consider replacing it with one of these: Flow Meters and PSI Gauges.
The gauge does go to zero when off, and it's up around 30psi when the pump is in priming mode, then drops to 8.

So I just went out in the rain to do a water test and cycle the vacuum, and there was no detectable waterflow at the return with the pump showing 2150rpm and the guage on the filter showing 8psi. I have a replacement gauge but I'm wondering if there's something that might be wrong with the MAR. Going to need to wait for a non-wet day to disassemble the filter again. Tomorrow, they're installing my heater.

Reactions: Texas Splash
At low RPMs you don't have all that much flow to begin with, but I see your point.

I assume you have a zero to 60 lb gauge.. which is not that sensitive anyway.. I use a zero to 30 lb gauge..

Pressure Gauge Glycerin filled 2.5" Rear (Center) Mount (Make sure you get the right one for your filter mounting)

Pretty clear the problem is the algae clogging the filter.. I would suspect gauge for lack of a pressure reading.

Thanks,

Jim R.

At low RPMs you don't have all that much flow to begin with, but I see your point.

I assume you have a zero to 60 lb gauge.. which is not that sensitive anyway.. I use a zero to 30 lb gauge..

Pressure Gauge Glycerin filled 2.5" Rear (Center) Mount (Make sure you get the right one for your filter mounting)

Pretty clear the problem is the algae clogging the filter.. I would suspect gauge for lack of a pressure reading.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yeah, I've gone through 44lbs of DE since started trying to clear the pool 3 weeks ago.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.