DE filter leaking at backwash pipe

Sep 21, 2014
Poway, Ca
Hi all,

My Pentair cartridge DE filter has begun leaking slowly at the backwash pipe outlet while in filter position. It has a small handle protruding from the base of the filter that slides back and forth to activate the backwash function, so I think that means there is no spider valve or gasket I have read about in the forum. It leaks whether the manifold doohickey is in, or not. Please let me know what other info you need to help solve the riddle. I've attached photos that are, hopefully, more eloquent than the my words above.

Thanks in advance.

Foghorn

Attachments

• IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0630.jpg
    IMG_0630.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 27
I don't have a DE, but while waiting to see if someone else has that type of set-up, I did manage to find the following discussions about filters much like yours without a multiport valve that may help:
filter leaking from backwash pipe.
Filter leaking at backwash pipe

Reply as much as you need to for more views/replies. Also, it would help to know the exact model number of your filter. Please update your signature with all of your pool info to help other viewers. Thanks.

I have to admit I have never seen that exact tank before, but the backwash system looks like a Purex/Pentair SM or SMBW series. Either way it seems the gasket has failed, p/n 071720, about $20. Check and see if that will work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.