DE filter keeps on increasing pressure

was hoping "dump & hope" would at least get me on track
LOL! I did the exact same thing at first so don't feel bad.
No more dump and hope though. :) Heed Jim's directions and you'll be straight in no time. They ship out test kits really fast so it won't be long.

I feel your pain on that DE filter too. I HATED mine when I first had to SLAM. Bumping every 15-30 minutes OMG. Talk about babysitting a pool. Can I at least go to the little girl's room before you need more attention?!? :ROFLMAO: I swore I'd NEVER go through that again and I haven't. TFP + SWG = no more algae for me and I chunked that thing in the trash in exchange for a big fat cartridge filter. :ROFLMAO:

• Love
Reactions: EmilePool
Progress report. Test kit won't be here till this Monday :(

OK; did a "dump and pray." (2 x 5gallons of chlorine). Pool looks crystal clear :) Test STRIPS results ... Total Chlorine 2, Free Chlorine 3, pH 7.6, Alkaline 60, CYA 40, Hardness ??. Will let it run till filter clogs, then clean filter and recharge with 3 lbs of DE.

Will run tests with kit when it arrives and post them. Appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers, Emile

LOL! I did the exact same thing at first so don't feel bad.
No more dump and hope though. :) Heed Jim's directions and you'll be straight in no time. They ship out test kits really fast so it won't be long.

I feel your pain on that DE filter too. I HATED mine when I first had to SLAM. Bumping every 15-30 minutes OMG. Talk about babysitting a pool. Can I at least go to the little girl's room before you need more attention?!? :ROFLMAO: I swore I'd NEVER go through that again and I haven't. TFP + SWG = no more algae for me and I chunked that thing in the trash in exchange for a big fat cartridge filter. :ROFLMAO:
Haha; at least my filter runs about 2 hours until it "blows." Actually had great success with these filters. Usually lasted over 2 months!

It all started when one of my pool lights went out. Tried replacing the bulb, but nothing even though I have 12V at the fixture. Thought it might be the transformer so replaced all electrics - had this done by an electrician since I did NOT want to cut PVC line with 240V in them :) Sill no light. Then my SWG went dead. OK, replaced that one. Then the dreaded algae problem :) Haha, will get back to the light later.

Cheers, Emile

Puzzled :) Was expecting my filter to clog up in 1-2 hrs as previous. Instead it has run for SIX hours. Haha, guess DEAD algae do not clog the filter as much :) Will let it run till it clogs up to catch as much particulate matter as possible before doing a clean-up and DE recharge.

Reactions: MITBeta
OK; got my TF-100 Salt chemistry kit. Here are my readings:
CYA-50, FC-15ppm, CC-2ppm, so TC-17ppm. Salt is at 3000.

Note, took sample water near "exit" jet with SWG "on." Should I take test water away from jets? After about 10 hours, my filter is still NOT clogged so haven't cleaned it yet and did not recharge (yet).

Comments please.

Many thanks, Emile

Last edited:
Take the water sample away from returns. Get it from 12-18" deep in the water.
List the results
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

OK; retested ...
FC 20
CC 2
pH 7.6
TA 200
CH 500
CYA 50

Note; have not added any additional CYA yet. Also, pool filter is humming along (have not cleaned it yet) - has NOT clogged up in about 30 hours. Have kept on adding 5ppm Chlorine daily as MITBeta suggested.

Comments please.

Thanks, Emile

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great job on the testing.

pH test is invalid when FC >10. Do not adjust pH when FC > 10. Do not use dry acid, use muriatic acid to lower pH. Dry acid adds sulphates...no bueno for el poolo.

With a CC of 2, you should start the SLAM process...Link-->SLAM Process

On your filter, you should note pressure when it is clean. When pressure rises 25%, clean it again. This should be your standard procedure ongoing.

Last edited:
  • Love
@PoolStored . Thanks again. Yes checking the pressure on my filter ... was just hoping to remove as much as possible without multiple cleanings :)
Yeah, I get it, but you need to realize that a filter is a pressure vessel. They are designed to be cleaned properly. If you exceed the designed pressure limit, they can and do explode. That is a dangerous situation. I would recommend, even if it a bit of a pain, to follow the process outlined. We don't want to see Emily injured, or have to replace a filter. (y)

• Haha
Great. Did you pass the other two criteria also? See SLAM Process
@mknauss . Thanks; yes, pretty sure CC is at 0.5 and water is crystal clear.
Guess I'll start adding CYA to get to the 70 level next.

Only thing I do NOT understand is my Hayward EC65A filter. When I had my algae problem, it would "blow" (OK; leak from the top) after about one hour. Now it has been running for 4 days (6-8 hr periods) without a problem. Do live algae constrict the flow more than dead algae? And yes; will clean and recharge filter later today :)

Many thanks, Emile

Any leak from a filter housing is problematic. Post a picture of the leak.
Haha; will post a pic if it starts leaking again. Has been fine for 5 days now. Leakage occurred when psi went over 20. Just light flow from in between the upper/inner part and the base. And ... guess the dead algae disintegrate so that is why my filter works again :)

Thanks, Emile

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.