DE entering pool thru skimmer and drain when the pumps off.

Re: DE entering pool thru skimmer and drain when the pumps o

liftmys10 said:
PoolGuyNJ said:
On a seperate note, at my other house when the pump shuts off, I can actually hear air being sucked thru the air bleeder and no DE goes back in the pool!!!! It's a pentair 4800 filter with a multiway valve. I wonder if the multivalve has a check valve built in?? The pool/filter is about the same level as the pool water.

Im going crazy! :hammer:

I don't think multiway valves have a check valve built in...

carlscan26 said:
So you do have water spilling out of the spa into the pool when in skimmer mode and returns to both pool a d spa? That's a spillover mode.
Yup that's correct, when I set the return to 100% to pool, one of the return jets go to the spa, and 3 jets go in the pool. So its always spilling over. I guess I can turn spillover mode off by alowing the drain to be slightly open. But like I said in my previous post, I can drain the spa out if 100% drain is on and 100% return to pool.

In spillover mode, the pool and spa are "connected" so water can travel from the pool to the spa. Since your spa is higher than the pool, when the pump is off, water flows out of the spa backwards through the filter and out through the skimmer. With a raised spa, it is usually a good idea to have a check valve to prevent this from happening.

mas985 said:
In spillover mode, the pool and spa are "connected" so water can travel from the pool to the spa. Since your spa is higher than the pool, when the pump is off, water flows out of the spa backwards through the filter and out through the skimmer. With a raised spa, it is usually a good idea to have a check valve to prevent this from happening.
So should I put the check valve on the return line to the spa or on the discharge line between the pump and filter.
So if I drain the spa water down to the pool water level, it shouldn't backflow de back into the pool right? I'll try that out tomorrow to confirm.

I would put the check valve right after the filter.

So if I drain the spa water down to the pool water level, it shouldn't backflow de back into the pool right?
Yes but any small difference will cause water to flow.

Right after the filter or between the filter and the pump?

I'd say between the two. I also think this will help you out when you clean your filter - the pump won't drain out so you won't have to reprime it with a hose. At least that has been my experience.

My first choice, if possible, is to put it right after the filter so debris won't get stuck in the valve. However, I don't think that putting the valve between the filter and pump will prevent the water from being siphoned out of the pump when the pump basket is opened. The pad is higher than the pool/spa so water will simply drain from the pump into the spa no matter where the check valve is. A check valve before the pump, though, would prevent the suction line from draining.

Ok I made the spa water level the exact same as the pools water level. It took a much longer time for the de to migrate into the pump basket... Looks like gravity all along with a possible small leak from maybe the couplings that convert copper pipe to pvc, even though I have no water leaks from that area.

It only takes a very small difference in water level to get the water to move. Lower the spa to just below pool level and water should move from the pool into the spa and you should't see any DE coming out of the skimmer. Once the levels equalize, see if there is DE in the skimmer, then it probably is a small air leak somewhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

mas985 said:
My first choice, if possible, is to put it right after the filter so debris won't get stuck in the valve. However, I don't think that putting the valve between the filter and pump will prevent the water from being siphoned out of the pump when the pump basket is opened. The pad is higher than the pool/spa so water will simply drain from the pump into the spa no matter where the check valve is. A check valve before the pump, though, would prevent the suction line from draining.

I didn't mean when cleaning the pump basket, only when taking the filter apart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.