Dawn to dusk photocell switch?

flipflop

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I want to put my SWG on a dawn-to-dusk photocell switch so that it turns on when the sun comes up, and off when the sun goes down. This should be simple, but such a product doesn't seem to exist. Sure, I can find umpteen zillion dusk-to-dawn switches that turns a device on when the sun goes DOWN, but not when it comes UP. Anyone have any ideas?

I have my edge 40 wired to a plug end and connected to a smart plug. Not sure 🤔 if I can do dusk to dawn but can set it to start and stop and certain times,
I finally decided to just let it run 24/7 on a low setting.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I end up with a pretty high FC reading in the morning (like 10-12) that declines throughout the day, which will have to suffice if I can't find a dawn-to-dusk switch.
Several folks on here runs their FC around 10.
Are you on the lowest setting ?

I am old school and have seen devices ( I am in IT ) run for 10 years until you lose power or move it and it won’t power back up. Haven’t heard that issue here but makes me feel better 😽

Several folks on here runs their FC around 10.
Are you on the lowest setting ?

I am old school and have seen devices ( I am in IT ) run for 10 years until you lose power or move it and it won’t power back up. Haven’t heard that issue here but makes me feel better 😽
I'm running the SWG at 40%. (I'm also in IT, and I know *exactly* what you mean!)

Reactions: markayash
If you created a circuit with a normally closed relay in the mix, this would do what you want. The photo cell would switch the relay. Essentially when the photo cell sees dark closing the circuit, power would be applied to the NC relay opening it and shutting down power to the cell.

edited to add - Its not a super simplistic solution but possible.

This one I use in several places and has a dusk to dawn calculated setting where when you set it up and tell it via gps coordinates where it's at it'll adjust itself daily for the new sunset/sunrise times. It can also be set with a few fixed settings to turn off or on later or earlier for the sunrise or sunset schedule. For instance you can set it to turn on 20 or 30 minutes after sunset and it'll adjust daily to the moving target.

This one I use in several places and has a dusk to dawn calculated setting where when you set it up and tell it via gps coordinates where it's at it'll adjust itself daily for the new sunset/sunrise times. It can also be set with a few fixed settings to turn off or on later or earlier for the sunrise or sunset schedule. For instance you can set it to turn on 20 or 30 minutes after sunset and it'll adjust daily to the moving target.
I believe that's exactly what I need. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.