Jan 1, 2022
France
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,
Still interested in the theory and consequences of chlorine protection from UV by CyA, I'm looking for data published in scientific or technical papers relating to measurements concerning this protection.
I have seen, here and there, mentions of such papers as well as curves "based" on measurement results but I haven't been able yet to find and read those reports and the corresponding data.
If you read this post and that you know of such references, would you be so kind so as to let me know where and how to get them ?

Thank you in advance and best wishes to all for the starting new year.

The main cause of chlorine being lost to UV is when a UV photons hit the electrons in the valence shell of an oxygen atom in hypochlorite, the electrons can be excited into a higher energy state and this makes it easier for the chlorine to take the electrons.

2OCl- + 2UV --> O2 + 2CL-.

When you have CYA in the water, most of the chlorine is bound to the CYA and not in the form of hypochlorite or hypochlorous acid.

So, the protection will be comparable to the equilibrium of the species.

1704235504732.png

1704235553324.png

1704235728345.png

Last edited:
Lots of great reading materials here -

Most of the articles contain extensive reference sections with references to the original O’Brien paper (1974) on the equilibrium chemistry of cyanuric acid and chlorine.

Here is some testing that I have done:

Thank you very much for all this information.
Re-readng the reports concerning CyA and OCl photolysis to which I have access, the best (?) data I have been able to find are those from Nelson (Monsanto report 6862) and Canelli (1974) which have been reproduced and used under graphical format by Wojtowicz, Pickens and Wahmann for instance
From what I understand of these experiments, various quantities of CyA were added to water originally containing 2,5 ppm FC. The corresponding samples of water were then xeposed to sunlight and remaining FC measured at different time intervals.
pH was 7 and temperature was ~ 29-32 °C (84-90 °.F).

This paper might be interesting to you -

Attachments

• Chlorine-consumption-by-UV.pdf
    170.9 KB · Views: 10
Thank you very much JoyfulNoise for this paper.

I already had a copy of it and found it most interesting especially for what concerns disinfection by UV-C (It mainly deals with 254 nm UV when sunlight UV reaching earth have a wave length over ~ 280 nm).
However there are some considerations regarding quantum yield as well as photolysis modeling which I found very interesting which I intend to investigate a bit further.
For instance, it looks like as if the rate of dissociation of OCl- for low concentrations is proportional to concentration. This would lead , in the absence of CyA, to an exponential variation of concentration with time in line with the proposal of Pickers based on reaction kinetics.

If you know of a possible access to :

Nelson, G. D. “Special Report No. 6862 –
Swimming Pool Disinfection with Chlorinated–s–triazinetrione Products.”,
Monsanto Chemical Co., St. Louis, Missouri,
March 1967.

I would be very happy.

Hello,
To mas85 : did you measure pH as well as Cl and CyA ?
Do you mean between the dilution samples? No but I did log PH for the pool and described it here:

But anecdotally, multiple times I have seen a distinct jump in FC levels shortly after adding CYA to the pool while keeping the SWG setting the same. This is what prompted me to do the testing initially. I was attempting to see if what I was experiencing was real or not. Everything I have seen to date, makes me think the extinction rate decreases faster than the CYA level increases making higher CYA level more CL efficient.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It would be interesting to test the opacity of the water to different wavelengths of UV at different levels of CYA.

You would need a UV generator with the ability to select different wavelengths and a detector to detect the intensity of the UV that passes through the water.

Reactions: mas985
It would probably be more related to the fact that CYA will absorb UV light at specific wavelengths which then prevents those wavelengths from destroying the CL. Based on the following data, which I have not vetted, it would protect ClO more than HOCl but since they are in equilibrium, it would affect both.

1704571706536.png

1704571846280.png

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.