Tarpon Springs, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Hi, we had our pool resurfaced w/ NPT Stonescapes back in October of last year and switch to a SWG. Prior to then, we had a "pool guy" take care of everything, adding chlorine, etc...which he didn’t do very well I learned after reading a ton of threads on this site and testing much more thoroughly w/ TF100 kit and pool math. Since switching to salt and new surface, PH rises daily about .6 consistantly pushing well past 8.0 unless I add MA to lower. We had a crack develop a month ago, and the builder/NPT rep came out, drained the pool, repaired and filled again. The plasterer said the pool had scaling so they acid washed before filling again. So in 6 months this happened probably from CSI going in and out of range I guess? The first 30 days after the repair they took care of water/balance.

Now, just looking for some guidance on how to keep PH more stable, if possible. Or is this just the new normal for my pool? I understand PH will rise, but at this rate I’m going through a Gal of MA every other week or so it seems. I’ve tried dropping to 7.0…and let it creep longer to get above 8, when I’m out of town over a few days. If I’m home for the week, usually adding every day or every other day to drop to 7.5. I don’t have any water features or anything that creates aeration. I do see the occasional bubbles from one jet when SWG is running. That’s about it.

Current specs are:

FC 6
CC 0
PH 7.6
CH 250
TA 70
CYA 70
Salt 3500
Temp 82 deg

Appreciate any help or if anything looks obvious to cause this. Thanks,

Hi, we had our pool resurfaced w/ NPT Stonescapes back in October of last year and switch to a SWG. Prior to then, we had a "pool guy" take care of everything, adding chlorine, etc...which he didn’t do very well I learned after reading a ton of threads on this site and testing much more thoroughly w/ TF100 kit and pool math. Since switching to salt and new surface, PH rises daily about .6 consistantly pushing well past 8.0 unless I add MA to lower. We had a crack develop a month ago, and the builder/NPT rep came out, drained the pool, repaired and filled again. The plasterer said the pool had scaling so they acid washed before filling again. So in 6 months this happened probably from CSI going in and out of range I guess? The first 30 days after the repair they took care of water/balance.

Now, just looking for some guidance on how to keep PH more stable, if possible. Or is this just the new normal for my pool? I understand PH will rise, but at this rate I’m going through a Gal of MA every other week or so it seems. I’ve tried dropping to 7.0…and let it creep longer to get above 8, when I’m out of town over a few days. If I’m home for the week, usually adding every day or every other day to drop to 7.5. I don’t have any water features or anything that creates aeration. I do see the occasional bubbles from one jet when SWG is running. That’s about it.

Current specs are:

FC 6
CC 0
PH 7.6
CH 250
TA 70
CYA 70
Salt 3500
Temp 82 deg

Appreciate any help or if anything looks obvious to cause this. Thanks,
New plaster does that. You shouldn’t try dropping it any lower than 7.6. The pH rise happens faster the lower you try and drive it down. So when it hits 8.2, just knock it down to 7.6/7.8. Once your TA lowers to 50/60 the pH rise should slow down more.

OK good to know, thanks. I knew I remembered seeing this article at somepoint, but forgot. Start-up New Plaster
When PH is rising after new plaster, is there a safe window of time that it can be 8+ without causing any concern? Like 24-48 hrs. Reason being, I travel for work and ocassionaly will be gone for a few days at a time, so cant dose the pool daily or every other day which is what is going to be needed to keep knocking it down like this.

OK good to know, thanks. I knew I remembered seeing this article at somepoint, but forgot. Start-up New Plaster
When PH is rising after new plaster, is there a safe window of time that it can be 8+ without causing any concern? Like 24-48 hrs. Reason being, I travel for work and ocassionaly will be gone for a few days at a time, so cant dose the pool daily or every other day which is what is going to be needed to keep knocking it down like this.
The pH is find if it starts with the number 7. So 7.9 is perfectly fine. Once it gets over 8.0 it’s had to tell what it is because the test comparator doesn’t go any higher than 8.2.

I don’t know that there any harm to high pH except you may get calcium scaling. Depending on your CYA level you may be able to float some trichlor tablets in a floater while your out of town which may show the pH rise at the expense of increasing CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.