NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Posting for my dad.. He is having an algae problem, so he probably needs to go through SLAM, but does he need to fix his TA/pH first?

FC: could not get a reading, I added 20 drops and the solution was still red.
pH: 6.8
CYA: 40
TA: 30

*****Please ignore the pool specs in my signature as those are for my pool. His pool is: 14k gallons, manually chlorinated, vinyl liner*****

IMG_1080.JPG

With your test results entered, touch the TA on the Home Screen. A page will open that will have your Current TA and Target TA. Put 60 as your Target.

FC: could not get a reading, I added 20 drops and the solution was still red.
If you used 10ml sample size (which is recommended to save on reagents) 20 drops is a FC of 10. Most likely during a SLAM you will need to keep going to 30 or more drops to get an accurate FC reading.

Reactions: wyckoffpool
With your test results entered, touch the TA on the Home Screen. A page will open that will have your Current TA and Target TA. Put 60 as your Target.
Why is 60 my target? The TF test kit says its 100-120 for manually chlorinated pools.

*****Please ignore the pool specs in my signature as those are for my pool. His pool is: 14k gallons, manually chlorinated, vinyl liner*****

After adding the baking soda, when should I retest? How long after

If you need to SLAM, add the baking soda and move on to the SLAM. Test the TA tomorrow.
What is the CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why is 60 my target? The TF test kit says its 100-120 for manually chlorinated pools.

100-120 is if you are solely using trichlor for chlorination.

Question on SLAM... in the articles here it says to evaluate the CYA/FC relationship.. so when I input my CYA level (40), the output tells me that my "SLAM level is 16".

What exactly does this mean? This should be my chlorine drop test result?

*****Please ignore the pool specs in my signature as those are for my pool. Dad's pool is: 14k gallons, manually chlorinated, vinyl liner*****

Yes, it does look like he uses tricolor tablets for chlorination.... so my TA should be higher as noted in the test kit instructions.
Not really. Your TA is safe down to 50ppm or so. But trichlor is an acid which will lower the pH and the TA somewhat, so you have to watch it and make sure it doesn’t go that low. But higher TA will push the pH upward faster so it’s a balance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.