Cyclone Blower

Lifted from the closing article :

View attachment 527224

There's no rush on the skimmers, like there is trying to air lock the deep end drains/returns. You stick the hose directly into the skimmer pipe and once the pipe is empty, add a gizzmo to the skimmer hole.
I forgot to mention that my Anthony’s skimmer is plumbed to the main drain as well. The 1 1/2 inch opening is threaded, so I plug it first, blow the suction pipe through the pump lid, close the Jandy valve and hope for the best - that the valve will hold the air lock through the winter.

Reactions: Newdude
Blow out plug for a main drain?
Hi Bperry, yes, with my system there is a leaf canister see picture and drawing, The main drain connection hose is at the back of the picture, where you see the hose running down the back wall and into the ground.

Attachments

• Paramount.jpg
    Paramount.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Main Drain.JPG
    Main Drain.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 15
Hi Bperry, yes, with my system there is a leaf canister see picture and drawing, The main drain connection hose is at the back of the picture, where you see the hose running down the back wall and into the ground.
Interesting. Not sure how to do that kind of system. I suppose blowing it out from the equipment pad is the only option. Does the deck thing have a port you can plug with a gizmo? The wall port can be plugged with a rubber stopper?

Yes that’s correct, plug the pool side hole, the bottom goes to the pump that will be easy to blow out and plug. The one on the side that goes to the main drain is the issue, I will need to put in a blow thru plug and I am buying a new compressor with a 25 gallon tank and hope it blows thru the Schrader valve to get an air lock.
I could not get the Cyclone to blow thru the Schrader valve to blow out the main drain when testing this week.

Yes that’s correct, plug the pool side hole, the bottom goes to the pump that will be easy to blow out and plug. The one on the side that goes to the main drain is the issue, I will need to put in a blow thru plug and I am buying a new compressor with a 25 gallon tank and hope it blows thru the Schrader valve to get an air lock.
I could not get the Cyclone to blow thru the Schrader valve to blow out the main drain when testing this week.
Seems unlikely there’d be a need to blow through a shraeder valve like that. There must be another way.

This thread is hard to follow. What I will recommend is to drain the water below the skimmer (1"). Then suction the water out of the skimmer(s) with a wet vac. If the main drain and skimmer are linked together, then use the air hose from the Cyclone and push the air and water toward the equipment and it will come out of the pump basket. Have another helper suction the water out while you are pushing the air and water backward. The main drain will bubble. Once you are comfortable, then quickly plug in with a winter plug. You may not need a Gizzmo. Place foam or water bottles with anti-freeze inside.

It would be helpful if the OP could post pictures of all the equipment so I can see what we are working with. Remember that air moves water, and then that area needs to be sealed.

Reactions: Texas Splash
If the main drain and skimmer are linked together, then use the air hose from the Cyclone and push the air and water toward the equipment and it will come out of the pump basket. Have another helper suction the water out while you are pushing the air and water backward. The main drain will bubble. Once you are comfortable, then quickly plug in with a winter plug. You may not need a Gizzmo. Place foam or water bottles with anti-freeze inside.
My opinion, if MD is connected via the skimmer I'd lower water below skimmer level as in any method then blow from equipment pad with cyclone and clear the skimmer line and only then would I use a Schrader valve plug in the main drain line in bottom of skimmer and with compresed air blow through the Schrader plug for several minutes and call that part done. Then blow once more the skimmer line to remove residual water left behind, pour half gallon rv antifreeze into skimmer line and either plug or with gizzmo seal it off. Just to note some of the o rings on the gizmo start to deteriorate so don't solely rely on it and might be a good idea to change it for a new o ring and or use Teflon tape on the threads. If the plug is used instead of the gizmo then you'd want a gallon jug bottle weight about half full with gravel and seal it off tight to absorb the the ice expansion once the water level goes up from precipitation and fills the skimmer area.

Reactions: Catanzaro
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.