Cyanuric Acid in new plastered pool

Only add about 2 lbs to start. If using liquid chlorine to chlorinate (adding daily), you can go to 50 ppm CYA. If using trichlor, I would not add more than the 2 lbs as you will need to start draining water after a month or so to limit CYA rise.

Did you read the article?
Solid granular stabilizer is best added by placing it in a sock or nylon and hanging that sock in front of fast moving return(s). Shaking and squeezing the sock while in the pool water will help the stabilizer dissolve faster.

Alternatively, the sock can be placed into the skimmer basket BUT it should only be left in there if the pump is continuously running and not turned on and off by a timer. CYA is acidic when it dissolves into water and so it is not a good idea to leave the sock in the skimmer without the pump running.

Did you read the article?
Solid granular stabilizer is best added by placing it in a sock or nylon and hanging that sock in front of fast moving return(s). Shaking and squeezing the sock while in the pool water will help the stabilizer dissolve faster.

Alternatively, the sock can be placed into the skimmer basket BUT it should only be left in there if the pump is continuously running and not turned on and off by a timer. CYA is acidic when it dissolves into water and so it is not a good idea to leave the sock in the skimmer without the pump running.
Ok, got it, thanks. The pump is going to run 24-7 for the first 3 days.

is that a good idea?
Absolutely. Without the softened water, you need to drain the pool about every 16 months. Many pool services here in BHC area drain the pools they manage twice a year, April and September, one because of CYA build up, and secondly due to CH rise.
If you have easy access to softened water from a whole house water softener, use it. I am using a RV manually regenerated softener. It works. Not perfect, but better than before. I installed the softener in October 2020, and have not had to drain the pool due to CH build up since.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test your CYA level monthly. Mine drops about 10-15% each month during June through September when water temperatures are well above 80F. Other months, not so much. During the summer, you can float a tablet every other week in a floating dispenser if you like and that will add CYA and also reduce the amount of acid you will have to add to manage pH and TA.

Do you have a proper test kit?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.