CYA test kits- fairly drastic result difference

Monkminder

Apr 27, 2023
Los Angeles
Hi there. I just received my test kit from TF. I have been using the Blue Devil CYA test kit (with the aggitating stick attached to the test vial)up until this morning. It has been giving results between 35-40 for the past 3-4 tests as I continue to balance my water.

I used the TF CYA test this morning and the Blue Devil. Blue Devil reports 40ppm and the TF Test kit reports 60ppm twice in a row. Any suggestions? Do I take an average?

Thank you!

Glen

The CYA test has a +/- 10 accuracy.

Are you doing the test outdoors in full sunlight, back to the sun, holding the tube at waist level with your thumb and index fingers only near the top?
Glance to see if you can see the dot - do NOT stare.

For the TF kit - you can pour the solution back into the squirt bottle and do the test numerous time. I tend to do it 3 times and take an average.

Hi there. I just received my test kit from TF. I have been using the Blue Devil CYA test kit (with the aggitating stick attached to the test vial)up until this morning. It has been giving results between 35-40 for the past 3-4 tests as I continue to balance my water.

I used the TF CYA test this morning and the Blue Devil. Blue Devil reports 40ppm and the TF Test kit reports 60ppm twice in a row. Any suggestions? Do I take an average?

Thank you!

Glen
Water needs to be room temperature as well as above advice. The CYA test isn’t super precise anyway. You kinda aiming for more than 30ppm and less than 80ppm. Anywhere in that range works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.