CYA reading is wonky

rldaniel

Silver Supporter
Jun 18, 2020
Huntsville, Alabama
I don't post much, but have been following the TFP method with great success for three years. Something happened today that I can't figure out.

If you look at my logs, I have been adding CYA a few lbs at a time with the sock method since I open this year, working my way up to 70ppm. Two week ago I tested at CYA 60, so I added 40 oz of Stabilizer as recommended by pool math and a week later I test and was at 70. Good enough. Today, I thought I would test again as it is getting hotter and longer days to be sure my CYA was high enough, and when I mix and pour to the 100ppm mark, I can't see the dot. I thought I must have done something wrong, so I remixed a new sample and tried again. Can't see dot at 100. I tried a third time and still can't see the dot. I make a fourth batch and mix, pour half out and add pool water to do a diluted test. Fill to 100 and still can't see the dot. I pour half of that out and fill back with pool water so I am double diluted and no luck at 100. WTH!

It is bright sunshine outside, same as I always do the test. (I have probably done the test 50 times over the last three years.) I got the sample from the same place in the pool as I always do. I did a test with tap water and and R-0013 reagent and It was clear to the 30 mark as you would expect.

I'm guessing the reagent is bad. I bought it from TFtestkit.net a couple of years ago, but it sure seem strange it would go completely bad in two weeks and work fine before that. I store my test kit in my air conditioned house, so it doesn't see temp extremes. I literally have not put a drop of anything in the pool since I put the CYA in two weeks ago. I have a new R-0013 on order from TFtestkit.net.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm baffled.

Ron

Missed that.
Then your CYA is very high. How much stabilizer have you added from the start of the season.

Reactions: Ziadeedee
You can’t dilute with pool water. You should use distilled water for any dilution, or, if not available, tap water or bottled water. The CYA reagent is concentrated to provide plenty of melamine to react with CYA. So if you’re adding pool water to dilute it, whatever you have in the sample bottle will continue to react with CYA.

I make a fourth batch and mix, pour half out and add pool water to do a diluted test. Fill to 100 and still can't see the dot. I pour half of that out and fill back with pool water so I am double diluted and no luck at 100. WTH!
To do the extended test, you mix pool water and tap water 1:1, pour that out to the test line, then add the R0013 reagent to that.

Your CYA was tested at 80 on March 31. You have added 74 oz of stabilizer since, or 30 ppm worth.

I opened on March 31 with a CYA of 60
Added 34 oz of dry stabilizer on April 10th
Tested CYA of 70 on April 17th
Tested CYA of 60 on May 14th
Added 40 oz of Dry stabilizer on May 14
Tested at CYA of 70 on May 23
Tested today, CYA over 100 double diluted

Added 74 oz of dry stabilizer since March 31.

Usually it only take 24-48hrs, but sometimes it can take 5-7 days to fully register on the test.

The CYA reagent is the most stable, but it may be time for new.

Likely either not waiting long enough, or bad reagent.

View attachment 499488

74 ounces would raise CYA by 30. 80 + 30 = 110.
I don't understand how I was getting readings of 60 and 70 for two months and now, over 100. Also I would have burnt off 15 to 20 ppm of CYA during that time. That's what I thought was happening when the reading would go back down to 60. I'll redo the diluted test according to mKnauss and see what I get.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did the diluted test and got a reading of 40, so 80ppm. I did the non-diluted test and could just make out the dot at 80. It is hazy overcast now and not bright sun. I had my back to the sun and glancing at waist level this morning. I could have sworn I couldn't see the dot. I'll keep testing for the next few days and see what I get. The diluted test makes me feel better and maybe I'm not over 100. Thanks for the responses, I'll keep working on my technique.

Unless the pool water is warm (85 or higher) and the pool is in full sun all day (high UV index), CYA will be very slow to burn off on it own. Even at our worst here in the desert with high UV and triple-digit air temps, the most I ever registered is losing 15ppm in one month.

Reactions: calstar
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.