jdeckert02

May 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just got back from testing my friend's pool. Looking to start a pool testing business eventually and need to work things out. Anyway, his CYA was 50. Only uses the chlorine pucks. He's had his pool 4 years now. I haven't used the pucks in 2 years. Have only used liquid. But my CYA is 90. I've had my pool 3 years. I don't get the difference. Shouldn't using pucks increase the CYA? I expected it to be sky high.

Now my pool is crystal clear and his is cloudy. Just curious as to your thoughts.

Thanks.

Shouldn't using pucks increase the CYA? I expected it to be sky high.
Yes, but in your area, seasonal changes influence CYA. Things like water exchanges from winterization, snow, etc. So it's possible a good bit of CYA was lost that way.

Doesn't make sense wy your CYA is 90 though if you're just using liquid chlorine which has no stabilizer in it. Either it was much higher before, some stabilizer was added at some point, or there's a testing issue.

You can tell us more about your scenario by updating your signature and including which test kit you use.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Just got back from testing my friend's pool. Looking to start a pool testing business eventually and need to work things out. Anyway, his CYA was 50. Only uses the chlorine pucks. He's had his pool 4 years now. I haven't used the pucks in 2 years. Have only used liquid. But my CYA is 90. I've had my pool 3 years. I don't get the difference. Shouldn't using pucks increase the CYA? I expected it to be sky high.

Now my pool is crystal clear and his is cloudy. Just curious as to your thoughts.

Thanks.
Did you put in 90ppm stabilizer to your pool? How long has it been 90? If you are testing at a pool store that could explain it.

I am using the Taylor 2600 test kit. I've never taken my water to a pool store.

I would not doubt that my CYA was higher than I thought. I did do the test where you add tap water in and double your CYA number. I've followed this site for a couple of years. I only used the granular chlorine, I know I said pucks before, for a couple of months when my pool was built. Then the following summer I switched to liquid chlorine. So, I guess I'm just trying to understand why mine is so high and his is "normal". Bad CYA testing could account for a higher level than I thought and why mine doesn't seem to drop as much as I thought it would. Yes, I know it is recommended to drain the pool, but my water is crystal clear and I've never had any issues. I use more chlorine than I probably should.

Anyway, thanks for you input. If there are other things you need to know to help out, please let me know.

I am using the Taylor 2600 test kit. I've never taken my water to a pool store.

I would not doubt that my CYA was higher than I thought. I did do the test where you add tap water in and double your CYA number. I've followed this site for a couple of years. I only used the granular chlorine, I know I said pucks before, for a couple of months when my pool was built. Then the following summer I switched to liquid chlorine. So, I guess I'm just trying to understand why mine is so high and his is "normal". Bad CYA testing could account for a higher level than I thought and why mine doesn't seem to drop as much as I thought it would. Yes, I know it is recommended to drain the pool, but my water is crystal clear and I've never had any issues. I use more chlorine than I probably should.

Anyway, thanks for you input. If there are other things you need to know to help out, please let me know.
Does he use his pool more than you does? He heats his pool warmer than yours? Does he drain it for the winter? All of those would affect the answer.

Last edited:
I suspect the pucks and stabilized granular chlorine really caught-up with you before you switched to liquid. If you prefer to not exchange water that's fine, just be sure to maintain the proper/elevated FC level as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Since your CYA is now below 100, I suspect this will be the last year you'll see such a high CYA. Have a good day. :swim:

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.