CYA, PH and backwashing questions before beginning a SLAM

gwtw

Apr 23, 2018
Kentucky
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We opened up our pool and are getting ready to start a SLAM. It is going to be windy and rainy this week so I'm afraid that this SLAM is going to be challenging. Before I start the SLAM, I have a few questions:
1. Is there an alternative method to the “sock in front of a return” method that is recommended on here to increase CYA, other than using expensive liquid CYA? It is very windy today so I really don’t want to tie a sock filled with CYA in front of a return because I’m worried that it could fall into the pool. I also do not want to put it into the skimmer since my skimmer could fill up with leaves quickly because of the high winds and the SLAM will require backwashing often. Instead of using a sock filled with stabilizer, could I put 24 oz of stabilizer into an 8 gallon bucket of warm water and set it outside to dissolve in the hot sun for several hours and then pour it around the perimeter of the pool or in front of a return jet? If this wouldn’t likely work, is there any problem with just using Dichlor or Trichlor shock if pool math is used to determine when to stop using it? It looks like CYA is around 20 so I won't have to add much stabilizer or stabilized shock.
2. When adding stabilizer or Dichlor/Trichlor shock to the pool before a SLAM, is it best to adjust PH to higher than 7.2-7.4 to compensate for the expected PH drop? In other words, if the pool math calculator says that the stabilizer or Dichlor that you plan on adding will lower PH by .5, should you start off with a PH of at least 7.7 so PH won’t dip down below 7.2? I’ve got an older pump so I don’t want to risk any damage to my pump from low PH. PH is currently 7.2 and TA is 70 but I could increase it if needed.
3. How often do I need to backwash and vacuum during a SLAM? If we end up getting a lot of rain with high winds as expected, we may end up getting a lot of leaves in the pool and I may not be able to go out as often to backwash and vacuum. I would like to backwash as infrequently as possible to avoid losing CYA and other chemicals since the rain may dilute the chemicals too.

To your questions:
1 - If you don't want to place the sock in the skimmer, hanging it should be fine and secure. Just use any long stick (i.e. broom handle) and tied the sock to the end of it and place something on the decking to hold the sock. It won't go anywhere. Pre-dissolving can be done but is a lot more work IMO. If you just dump powdered shock into the water, you have to be sure it dissolves or it can bleach the gelcoat if it sits on the bottom.
2 - CYA has minimal impact on pH. Just adjust the pH as you would any other time regardless of the CYA.
3 - When filter pressure increases by about 25% from clean pressure.

Reactions: gwtw
What type of sock should I use to get the CYA into the pool as fast as possible? Would a men's tube sock work or would it be better to use a thinner knee-high dress sock or a much thinner women's nylon? Is there something that I could use to securely close the sock so stabilizer doesn't spill out if it gets knocked into the pool by high winds? Would it be possible to get 24 oz of CYA into the pool in 4-5 hours if I put it fairly close to the return jet and squeezed it often? Thunderstorms with high winds are expected on Wednesday so I would like to try to get it all into the pool tomorrow so I don't have to worry about it falling into the pool when the storm hits. Since I'm using HTH Stabilizer Pods, I'm wondering if I should open up the pods and pour the stabilizer into the sock or just put the pods into the sock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.