CYA of 80ppm with SWG?

Feb 26, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'm preparing to install a Hayward Aqua Rite Pro SWG. In reading through the instructions though, it says that the CYA needs to be at 80ppm. So instead of the usual 2 1/2 pounds my pool requires, I'll need to use 10 pounds of the stuff. 10 POUNDS?!?! Given the expense of CYA, how does maintaining 80ppm save me money over maintaining 20ppm with liquid chlorine? Also, does the higher CYA mean that there's more cyanide in the pool? How is it that the higher ppm doesn't pose a great exposure to cyanide?

Thanks for the help, I'm just trying to understand what exactly I'll be exposing my family to.

Cyanuric acid and cyanide are not the same thing. There is absolutely no cyanide exposure danger in a pool!!!!

Having CYA @ 80 means that the chlorine generated by the unit will last much longer since it is that much better protected from the sun. While CYA can be a bit pricey, what you're doing is extending the life of the SWG cell (which is pricier!!).

Had a chance to read through Pool School yet?

Just remember that you don't want to raise the CYA level all the way to 80 in one go. It is easy to raise CYA, but difficult to lower it if you go too high, so aim for 3/4 of the way there, wait a week, test the CYA level again and adjust from there.

You usually only need to raise CYA once at the start of the swim season. It then saves you chlorine every day all year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.