CYA misunderstanding

Well, I definitely won't have to add any for a while. I just tested it again. I know... wait a week. It's around 75-80 now which is what I wanted for the SWCG. The sock in the skimmer has been completely empty for hours and the pump has been running. Hopefully when I repeat the test in a week it won't be much higher. Another day another lesson learned.

Isaac- I don't have an auto fill, I just pull the hose around the house when needed. I also really don't think I have a leak. But I intend to do the bucket test just to make sure. At this point the evidence is pointing to testing error on my part.

Whalers- I wash out the cartridge filter whenever the pressure rises by 10%. I do it on my weekly cleanings before I add any chemicals so that any I add will have a week to circulate. I don't think that's it.

If the pool started at around 30 CYA and I incorrectly tested it at 60-65 then the amount of CYA I added should have brought the CYA up to about 80 which is high but what I intended for my SWCG pool. Worst case scenario is a minimal drain and refill to get back to 80 if this newbie overshot. Pool Math says the amount of CYA I added (5 lbs by weight) should have raised the pool by about 50. I'm going to retest CYA today realizing that it still may increase a little this week.

So I just did another CYA test. At 100 I could definitely see the dot, at 90 it was very cloudy but I could still make it out, at 80 I couldn't really see it (wasn't sure if I could see it or not), and at 70 it was definitely gone. I repeated the test several times holding the tube at waist level with the sun towards my back. I was aiming for a CYA of 80 for my SWCG pool. I'm assuming the CYA is between 80 and 90 and that it could possibly rise a little more over the next week. I'll retest in another week.

What would you do if this was your pool? Partial drain or leave it and run the FC a little higher until the monsoon season in South Florida takes care of it? Input is always appreciated.

From your description your CYA level is 70. The dot should be completely, totally, gone, no hint it was ever there.

In any case CYA around 70 to 80 is fine with a SWG, so you are good there, no need to raise or lower CYA based on the current results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.