Cya low, TA is really high! Which should I balance first?

bkkari

Aug 21, 2014
Central, MN
Hello,
New pool liner, new water, still trying to balance chemicals.
One week in and here’s our readings
CYA 25
FC 6
CC 0
TA 230 !
PH 7.5
CH 200
Salt 3300

I know I need to raise the CYA and lower the TA, but which should I do first or can I add both CYA and MURIATIC acid at the same time?

Thx for your help!

Is your water clear? If you are sure you do not need to SLAM Process, raise your CYA to 70 ppm. Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't put the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

You can add the MA at any time. The CYA is slightly acidic so it will lower pH a little.

Follow Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity. No rush on it. TA does not have much effect in your pool. It will just cause pH to rise a little quicker.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.