CYA Levels

chefjay

May 9, 2021
Maryland
My cya levels have been so my pool is showing no chlorine after shocking. I have pumped out one foot and refilled multiple times and my cya is still 100ppm which the local pool store said is fine. Should I try to lower the cya to 30-50? Can cya be held up in the DE filter? It is an 18ft round with about 8000 gallons of water. I am not sure what to do at this point because I can’t get my chlorine levels up no matter what I do.

First thing is get a proper test kit and test yourself. I recommend the TF-100. 2nd thing draining small amounts of water takes forever to lower CYA. Go at least half your water depending on what your CYA actually tests at.

FYI: CYA has nothing to do with not being able to maintain chlorine. That's something else. You'll need to slam most likely.

Thank you for your replies I have a Taylor 2005 test kit so I can test all levels. I am assuming I should shock to bring the free chlorine levels up. Should I try to lower the cya as well.

If you are near 100, do the CYA 50% dilution test instead.

Use half tap water half pool water and fill to the bottom of the label of red tipped bottle. Then fill to the top of the label with the reagent. Shake to mix wait 30 seconds. Shake once more. Pour into the view tube. When black dot disappears take your reading then double it.

I have a Taylor 2005 test kit
That probably means you don't have the FAS-DPD portion (powder & drops) for accurate/higher FC testing. If you don't have that, see the link below. The FAS-DPD will essentially convert your K-2005 to a K-2006.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.