CYA levels

Do not use CalHypo tabs in that feeder. They are not as firm/compressed and dissolve quicker than the TriChlor tabs. They will just plug up those feeders. Plus, from a safety standpoint you should never mix chlorine types in any enclosed space like that feeder as it can have explosive results.

Pool Chemical Explosion Accident Analysis and Investigation at chemaxx.com

Pool Chemical Explosion - YouTube

You have high CYA because Trichlor tabs are almost half CYA in the chemical compound. It has nothing to do with your volcano or acid rain.

Okay now I'm a bit confused and a bit scared. The last thing I want is an explosion. So I shouldn't use hypo cal tabs in the feeders and I won't be able to get the board to okay a liquid chlorine feeder anytime soon. So do I continue with the trichloro tabs but continue to use my methods of shock treatment. And when I can get away with it drain the water and add new. "Something else the board doesn't want to allow" to keep my CYA down to reasonable levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay now I'm a bit confused and a bit scared. The last thing I want is an explosion. So I shouldn't use hypo cal tabs in the feeders and I won't be able to get the board to okay a liquid chlorine feeder anytime soon. So do I continue with the trichloro tabs but continue to use my methods of shock treatment. And when I can get away with it drain the water and add new. "Something else the board doesn't want to allow" to keep my CYA down to reasonable levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

explosion will happen if you put trichlor and cal hypo into one container. It also seems trichlor feeders are not suitable for cal hypo due different density.

If you can figure out how to dispense cal hypo on its own then you can switch off from trichlor tablets completely. To calculate max possible amount of cal hypo you can find out the CH loss rate so cal hypo can be used to compensate. Then if you also find FC loss liquid chlorine demand can be estimated as well. Both losses can be found using the test kit you have.

It would take approximately 1 gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine to raise your FC by 1ppm or 1-1/3 jugs of 8.25% bleach. That's a lot of recyclables... You can do that in the meantime, I guess. I would think a partial drain and refill in Hawaii would be expensive.

Maybe we need to come up with a proposal for your BOD for a SWG or injection system.

It would take approximately 1 gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine to raise your FC by 1ppm or 1-1/3 jugs of 8.25% bleach. That's a lot of recyclables... You can do that in the meantime, I guess. I would think a partial drain and refill in Hawaii would be expensive.

Maybe we need to come up with a proposal for your BOD for a SWG or injection system.

he still needs calcium with plaster and soft water so cal hypo looks appealing from that angle as it would free him up from adding calcium separately. Any feeders available for cal hypo? SWG can be used instead of liquid chlorine- depends how he wants to go about cal hypo. Besides, ppl there might want fresh water pool- they have salty ocean all around :).

All the numbers and stuff. I usually just use the 10:1 rule. For every 10 ppm of CYA you need 1 ppm of free chlorine. 80 ppm of CYA you need a minimum of 8 ppm of chlorine. I would keep it at 10 for high bather loads.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.