CYA is super low

Rocketfish

Bronze Supporter
Jun 6, 2016
Orange County, CA
Hey TFP! I had a few questions about the CYA in my pool.

Recently, I noticed that the FC in my pool did not seem to last very long, and I was having to add a lot of chlorine to maintain my levels. Well, because of what I learned here, I suspected low CYA, only to find out that it is almost non-existent! I filled the tube for the CYA test and it was only barely cloudy with the black dot still very visible.

1. Does the R-0013 ever expire? I am confident in how I made the solution and performed the test. I want to make sure it's not expired as I bought my kit over a year ago.
2. Should I be conservative and assume 20ppm and add CYA based on 20ppm and poolmath?
3. How important is it to leave my pump running for 24 hours as the CYA is dissolving in the sock, in the skimmer? Don't worry, I will add in small increments
4. Finally, how is it possible for my cya to go from 40-50 down to 20? I only did ONE partial drain, and that was only when we had a heavy rain this year and the level was over the skimmer opening. CYA doesn't evaporate from what I've read here. Granted, southern Cali had a ton of rain this past year. Does rainfall dilute the CYA somehow?

1 - R-0013 is one of the most stable (inert) reagents. It should still be good.
2 - Yes, best to be safe since you can always add but not lower (without changing water)
3 - You can run the pump normal cycles. While in a sock, the granules will slowly dissolve into a fine powder. It will circulate good enough once the pump resumes operation.
4 - As for the drop of about 20-30 ppm? Various factors could apply such as:
- Testing variance of +/- 15ppm
- Amount of water exchanged
- Time between those tests as we do expect a slow reduction of CYA each month
- Rainfall/dilution doesn't apply. Only actual water exchange.
- Some pools with a leak or autofill have this happen

In any case, you seem to have the right idea. Increase a bit in reasonable increments so you give protection to the FC without over-shooting too much. Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.