CYA is missing

May 24, 2010
Southern NJ
Drained most of my pool at the beginning of the year. Added about 8lbs of stabilizer over the course about a week. Pool store said I had a reading of about 60. Had to wait to get my new test kit, but when I tested myself, I am only getting about 20. I've tried the test a few times and I am still getting a low reading. The pool store and my readings are so different. Not sure if I should add more or not. Could it have vanished? I have had to add a little bit of new pool water due to evaporation. What readings do I trust?

Reactions: Hoster
8 lbs. of stabilizer in a 30K gallon pool will raise CYA level by 32 ppm. If you're pool volume is accurate and you used 100% Cyanuric Acid, your CYA level is 30. Ignore the pool store results. The Taylor-based test doesn't provide the level of accuracy to easily distinguish 20 ppm from 30 ppm.

Reactions: BMerrill
Drained most of my pool at the beginning of the year. Added about 8lbs of stabilizer over the course about a week. Pool store said I had a reading of about 60. Had to wait to get my new test kit, but when I tested myself, I am only getting about 20. I've tried the test a few times and I am still getting a low reading. The pool store and my readings are so different. Not sure if I should add more or not. Could it have vanished? I have had to add a little bit of new pool water due to evaporation. What readings do I trust?
I was about to post the same occurence. My pool was drained about 50 - 60% last season to repair rusty walls inside the liner and was "filled" with rain when I opened. Added pounds of CYA (more than 15 lb total so far in 3 differet times) yet CYA level keeps going down. In fact, I added about 5 lbs 2 days ago (using the sock method - or I put CYA in hair nets / skimmer basket) to increase my CYA to about 60 (from 40ish) yet when I measured today CYA was 30 - went down!!! I even checked whether the CYA test kit was correct by squeezing the remaining CYA in the hair net into the test tube, and the solution works just fine (very cloudy when mixed). Not sure why CYA would go down. I do use the TFP test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.