CYA- How much is REALLY in my pool?

Reebs

Bronze Supporter
Aug 4, 2008
Hebron, CT
Looking for some advice on the amount of CYA I actually have in the pool. I have always found the TFP Test Kit pretty accurate. Since I opened my pool this year, I have added a fair amount of stabilizer to get to "suggested" levels over the month of May. We have not had an abnormal amount of increased rain this spring that would dilute CYA too much, but we did open the pool to a pretty big algae mess so I have back-washed several times (3-4). At opening, the pool tested with CYA = 0. While trying to SLAM, I used bleach only (No SWG) and added some stabilizer to keep Chlorine in check during SLAM. Brought CYA up to about 30 for this process. Since completing SLAM and temperatures rising, I made the switch to SWG several weeks ago and added more CYA to get to suggested levels with a SWG. In total, since opening the pool, I have added 7 pounds of Dry Stabilizer and 2 gallons of liquid. Based on TFP's "Effects of Adding", with my gallon size pool, that is a CYA increase of 37.0 in Dry addition and another 33.0 in liquid. Therefore, I would expect my CYA to be about 70. In testing my water May 26th and then again on Saturday, May 30th (to see if maybe I messed up the test for some reason) CYA is testing at 35, both tests. I know I have added enough CYA to get me double that. What should I go on? I don't want too much CYA as that is not easy situation to correct, but I also don't want to run at 35 when TFP ideal levels for CYA are 70-80. Below are the last test results as well as two pictures of the CYA test. The first picture is the "dot" at 60 and the second is the dot at 40 (still visible so I estimate 35 is my CYA reading based on the test). What would the TFP experts say I have for CYA in my pool- trust the test, or what I have added in about 3 weeks time? Thanks!

FC= 6.5
CC= 0
PH= 7.4
TA= 80
CH= 60
CYA= 35
Salt 3600
Water Temp 78
CSI -1.11

Attachments

• IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    534.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    852.6 KB · Views: 15
Your CYA is 40. We round up. If the dot disappears between 40 and 30 we round up to 40.

You added about CYA 70 and did a few backwashes during your SLAM Process CYA 40 is what it tests to. I would add 10 - 15 ppm of stabilizer at a time and retest in between to get up to your target CYA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.