Raleigh, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Ive been fighting with CYA getting it up since I started this year. Never gotten to where it needs to be. Mostly been averaging about 30. I think the highest Ive gotten it was to about 70, when I was shocking.
It did rain a decent amount last weekend, and since then its been decreasing all week. Monday was at 40 (after rain stopped) This morning it was at 10. Ive added close to 5 lbs this week alone with sock method just about every day, so it should have gone up. I had to redo a few other things (ph, alk, FC) after the rain but everything else has equaled out after about a single treatment of baking soda and a lb of shock. Ive not backwashed at all since Tuesday.

Pool got completely SLAMed finishing up last week, which worked out great, took about 2 weeks. Ive seen the threads on bacteria eating, and Ive been progressively scrubbing more and more to the nooks and crannies, so Id expect this to be getting better, not worse. I did have to put in some liquid chlorine this morning as I think the sun ate a ton yesterday, plus we were in it a little last night.

Have you considered you have a water leak? What about an auto-fill? What method are you using to add stabilizer? CYA doesn't just disappear that fast. If you are retaining FC and your pH is within limits, it's not ammonia. How are you testing?

Ive been fighting with CYA getting it up since I started this year. Never gotten to where it needs to be. Mostly been averaging about 30. I think the highest Ive gotten it was to about 70, when I was shocking.
It did rain a decent amount last weekend, and since then its been decreasing all week. Monday was at 40 (after rain stopped) This morning it was at 10. Ive added close to 5 lbs this week alone with sock method just about every day, so it should have gone up. I had to redo a few other things (ph, alk, FC) after the rain but everything else has equaled out after about a single treatment of baking soda and a lb of shock. Ive not backwashed at all since Tuesday.

Pool got completely SLAMed finishing up last week, which worked out great, took about 2 weeks. Ive seen the threads on bacteria eating, and Ive been progressively scrubbing more and more to the nooks and crannies, so Id expect this to be getting better, not worse. I did have to put in some liquid chlorine this morning as I think the sun ate a ton yesterday, plus we were in it a little last night.
How did you measure the 10ppm CYA? Test strips and pool store testing isn’t very reliable, and that may be why you are seeing inconsistent results.

Reactions: Donldson and Oly
No leak (or no water drop that isnt explained), no autofill, and no water additions recently. I did backwash some after the rain but before I added CYA, so water level effectively has not changed here. Before you all shoot me, my taylor kit has not come yet, its been ordered. Both the stores and the strips agree so Im inclined to trust them (vs if they disagreed on their own). I know one store (Ive been going to 2 for different parts and what not) is drop testing.

Both the stores and the strips agree so Im inclined to trust them (vs if they disagreed on their own). I know one store (Ive been going to 2 for different parts and what not) is drop testing.
Okay, so at this point it's probably best to just hold-off until your kit arrives. You're trying to get the law of averages to work in your favor with other testing methods, but you'll see when you get your own kit how badly those can be off the mark. Let us know when your kit arrives and post a follow-up set of numbers. We'll be watching. :)

Both the stores and the strips agree so Im inclined to trust them
CYA levels do not yo-yo like your results indicate.

Given the choice between believing you are losing half your water and it being replaced without any evidence left, or that known unreliable testing sources are providing you with faulty testing, I am inclined to believe the latter.

When I say that I will trust your very first Taylor results more than any pool store or test strip numbers, I am 100% serious. Historically those sources have proven to be just that bad.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.