CYA Addition Frequency?

garroyo130

Mar 24, 2023
Austin, TX
We opened the pool about 2 months ago and I just finished using up my 2nd 5lb bag of CYA to try to get CYA to 50. All additions have been made using the sock method, and since opening, I have drained maybe 6" of water. We have only been in the pool once so there hasn't been much splash out either. Is adding this much CYA normal?

As far as testing goes, I am very confident in my testing as I am testing back to back with the 50 CYA test solution to confirm.

Those 10lbs added about 90 CYA to your pool. If you are confident in your testing, then water is leaving your pool somehow. Do you have an auto-fil?

To @Texas Splash point, I’m in Austin as well and I’ve had enough rain for my pool to overflow plus I had to drain some to get the water back to the appropriate level. This has caused me to have to add a few pounds myself after raising it for the new SWG. Hello May. Wettest month of the year. This has happened twice in the last couple of weeks. I just added 1/2 pound yesterday and will retest and adjust as needed when I get back Thursday.

Reactions: Texas Splash
My fear isn't that it's high, but rather that it's still reading low compared to the CYA 50 test solution. As I mentioned, I have drained but I would estimate at most I've drained 8" total, no overflows. FC is holding fine, losing around 3ppm/day.

I don't know if anyone here has played around with the CYA 50 test solution from the TF ppl but that thing is CLOUDY! I found the images on here for the CYA dot and the test solution definitely looks like the end dot which is what I'm trying to get my sample to look like.

Reactions: KJB1
I struggled too,I think, at first. I realized then that the initial mix and wait then the reshape is critical. At least for me.

I don't know if anyone here has played around with the CYA 50 test solution from the TF ppl but that thing is CLOUDY!
I have not and at this point I’m scared too. If I’m reading it wrong I don’t want to know, lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.