CYA added but there is no stabilizer in the pool

Then based on what you are suggesting, I should see a higher CYA level next Thursday, which would be 2 weeks since I added the 60oz. Well, then, I guess I just won't do anything (except SWG and acid as needed), and see what happens. I think I should see a higher level of CYA by Monday if there is still undissolved granuals, wouldn't you agree? So if CYA is higher on Monday, then it takes more than a week to dissolve. If I still see 60, then the CYA I added was at a quarter stated strength (conspiracy). If CYA is less, then something is eating it.

To isolate the test, I should check the irrigation line over a 24 hour period without running the sprinklers to see fill water use. This would make sure I do not have a leak.

I'm also having cya problem. Added 6 lbs of cya and read zero 3 weeks later. Does no chlorine cause cya to go away? I have a 32000 gal vinyl with a 500 gallon a day leak (still). So i have lost and added about 10000 gallons in same amount of time. Obviously this contributes a lot or completely to my chemical problems. This leak is killing me. I might have to pay the PB to find it. He is also the baquacil sales king. He will blame the chlorine when he finds out i switched to it. I also have this beatiful Auto Pilot I don't want to install until I have the leak problem solved. Have had multiple plp search 2 year old liner and no tears. Pipes all hold compressed air. Very small drip every 2 seconds leak from backflow tube. I am going to buy some white butyl "cord" and recaulk the stairs and hope this solves problem. Although PB says there is no way the stairs are leaking.
FC 0
TC 0
PH 7.2
TA 60
CH 70
CYA 0

Hi ya landlord,

Do you still have the container that the CYA came in? If so...I would see if there is even one granule of stabilizer left. If there is...I'd take the advice of waterbear...

"Easy way to tell if the chemical in his CYA container is, indeed, CYA. Drop one granule of it into your CYA dispensing bottle, fill with pool water to the pool water line, fill with reagent to the reagent line, shake for a minute or two. It should turn VERY cloudy!"

Do you remember what brand of the CYA?

If you still have the container...I'd keep it for a while. Perhaps we may find a trend with either brand...lot number or ???

good luck,
dan

bestlandlord said:
I'm also having cya problem. Added 6 lbs of cya and read zero 3 weeks later. Does no chlorine cause cya to go away? I have a 32000 gal vinyl with a 500 gallon a day leak (still). So i have lost and added about 10000 gallons in same amount of time. Obviously this contributes a lot or completely to my chemical problems. This leak is killing me. I might have to pay the PB to find it. He is also the baquacil sales king. He will blame the chlorine when he finds out i switched to it. I also have this beatiful Auto Pilot I don't want to install until I have the leak problem solved. Have had multiple plp search 2 year old liner and no tears. Pipes all hold compressed air. Very small drip every 2 seconds leak from backflow tube. I am going to buy some white butyl "cord" and recaulk the stairs and hope this solves problem. Although PB says there is no way the stairs are leaking.
FC 0
TC 0
PH 7.2
TA 60
CH 70
CYA 0

It's your dilution, if you've added 10K more water, you've diluted it so much. So 6 lbs in 42000 gallons of water is only going to give you like 15 ppm. Might be too low to test, yet.

It seems almost impossible that you are not seeing some evidence of where this leak is. Use some food coloring around the stairs while the pump is off, you should be able to see where it is going. That's a big water loss.

In the meantime - you may want to use dichlor or trichlor shock and pucks to try to hold some CYA in your pool.

Well...I checked my brother-in-laws pool water today.

He had set out 4lbs of stabilizer, 2lbs in a nylon stocking set by the inlet strainer and 2lbs in a stocking set by the discharge. He said that the discharge dissolved much earlier than the inlet.

After adding the 4lbs of CYA from the new container he registered at 20 parts on Ben's kit. I just can't help but wonder if the CYA was any good at all....or if possibly it contained some other substance all together.

Either way he's getting back on track now that the chlorine will hold a little better ;)

Also...as I mentioned before my brother-in-law's pool always seems to go down to zero CYA after each winter. I plan to look into this a bit more this year. I plan to get a good fall reading, and if the level seems to be dropping I'll get multiple readings throughout winter and into spring. We'll see what happens...if anything.

happy fourth all!

dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.