CYA accuracy question

Hey all,

The Taylor's CYA test sucks. However, best I can tell it was 30. So, I go to the pool store and they get 11. Are pool stores accurate for the CYA test? I'm really in a pickle, as I maintained my pool at 5ppm a couple weeks ago and got algae (cloudy) anyway. I can't seem to get a good CYA number.

Thoughts?

No, pool stores and test strips are vastly worse than the Taylor cya test. I would trust your cya test results with a Taylor kit 1000 times more than a pool store test. We've seen variations of well over 100 from one store to the next. And test strips are give or take 50 on their best day. If you see 30 then use 30 as your cya number. If in doubt then round up to 40 and keep 1 more ppm of FC in your pool. Adding an extra 1 or 2 ppm of FC won't hurt a thing. What is important is to never go below minimum for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. When FC drops below minimum the kill rate for bacteria, viruses and pathogens is not fast enough to insure prevention of person to person disease transmission, especially in kids. It is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA.

I would agree. The Taylor kits provide the best CYA test available for residential DIY'ers. Once you've established some history you'll gain trust in the results. Stay away from the pool stores except for parts etc. Their reason for being is to sell chemicals, most of which, you don't need. (I have a shed full of them)

One bit of advice I got that really helped me was in addition to following the instructions exactly when you do the test, but instead of stressing yourself out trying to see that dot, do the glance test. In other words look away and look at it again and if you don't see the dot right away without really focusing hard to see it, call it good. I have did this and then poured the water sample back into the container and used the same water and did the test over and over again until I get similar results. This works for me. If you test the same water a few times and get the same result, you're probably very close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.