Current SLAM, done or keep going?

How quickly are you doing the FAS-DPD test? Just want to make sure you are not letting the sample sit too long during the CC test and getting a false reading.

I test within seconds of finishing the FC test. I can only conclude there is something hidden in my water that the chlorine is fighting, or there is a problem with my reagent. Logically, I don't think there is anything wrong with the reagents.

Yet another person is doomed by the new zombie algae....I have nothing to add other than I have been dealing with a similar problem for almost 2 months, with no end in site!

Hope you figure it out, I will be watching your thread!

Have you been slamming continuously? What test kit are you using?

I test within seconds of finishing the FC test. I can only conclude there is something hidden in my water that the chlorine is fighting, or there is a problem with my reagent. Logically, I don't think there is anything wrong with the reagents.

Have you been slamming continuously? What test kit are you using?

Kit is in my signature...

I have not been continuously SLAMing, but almost...I pass the OCLT many, many times, then my FC just get's consumed 3-4X more than it should and 3-4X more than last year same time, same conditions, etc.

Every once in a while I still see a bit of Algae while at or close to SLAM and it makes no sense. I have automation for dosing and NEVER get close to dropping below the min for my CYA - crazy stuff going on.

Yet another person is doomed by the new zombie algae....I have nothing to add other than I have been dealing with a similar problem for almost 2 months, with no end in site!

Hope you figure it out, I will be watching your thread!

I just read your thread, very interesting. Sorry you are having troubles, and I feel like I am having an identical experience to be honest.

I have been starting in the mornings with FC of 25 most of the days. I add 1 gallon of 10% bleach, and get an increase of 10ppm FC. By the time I get home from work, it is back down to 25 or slightly less. Evenings, I hit 30ppm before bed (and test before bed to verify). In the mornings, I pass OCLT. But my CC has been 1 or greater every time.

I am also burning through chlorine. I tested my CYA again and still get 50.

It has rained a lot the past 6-8 weeks here. Based on my testing, something is in my water and I can't kill it, or it is being re-introduced.

- Should I get an ammonia test kit?
- After 10 days, do you guys think I should keep adding bleach to maintain slam level? Or should I let it drop and check pH?
- My borate level seems to have dropped, I just tested at got ~30. Could this be an issue? Some people commented in other threads that this level can actually promote algae growth...

Well, I think I can conclude that I have been creating inconsistent test results. This morning, I filled the comparator tube with pool water and soaked the scooper in it for a few minutes to clean the powder that builds up on it. After rinsing the items off and repeating my tests, I have 0 CC every time.

Is it possible there was a contaminant in the tube or on the scooper? I rinse the tube thoroughly with pool water before each test.

I think my SLAM is done, and I am going to let the FC come back down to normal levels. This is the longest I have ever held an elevated FC and I hope it resolves the recurring mustard algae problem I was having. The water is by far the clearest I have ever had.

Attachments

• 20140719_132122 (Small).jpg
    20140719_132122 (Small).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20140719_114219 (Small).jpg
    20140719_114219 (Small).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 25
First, I have no "miracle" suggestion that will make everything perform normally and you can enjoy the pool the rest of the summer, That said, let's get some basics out of the way.......we may be able to get closer to making your job easier.

If I was forced to just guess, I would say you are overtesting and overthinkng and causing that angst to migrate into some possibly false readings.

1. Post a full set of test results.

FC -

CC -

pH - Skip this one

TA - What was your result? How did you know when the test was completed

CH - Skip this one

CYA - Result? Do this test three times by pouring the pool/reqagent mixtue back and forth essentially "redoing the test each time....no hurry. Take the average of those three and tell us what your average was.

None of these have to be "perfect" but rather it will help give us an idea of how you are testing for repeatability and precision.

So,

FC - What was your results? How did you know that was you the end of your test?

- same questions for the CC....what was result and how did you know that result ended your test.

pH - Skip this one

TA - Same as above.....how did you know when the test was complete?

CH - Skip it.

CYA - skip it....you've essentially done it three times alrewady

Post up those results with VERY little side comments so we can stay focused on the methodology and we'll talk about it some more.

Hang in there, there's a lot of really smart folks who will help every step of the way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.